Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged LPG ?

M

mwb235

I agree, it's definitely worth doing.

I had my 98 VT Calais V6 s/c converted to a Sprintgas dual fuel setup, just the older "venturi" system (not the latest gas injection which i would have liked but couldn't afford) and i am happy with it. No loss in power, big loss in the amount i have to cough up each fill. I don't carry much luggage (the kind you put in a car boot - i have heaps of the emotional kind!) and i'm no good at skiing, so losing some boot space and the "ski hatch" doesn't bother me.

A lot of people don't like LPG and i respect their opinion, however some of the BS people write about the pitfalls of LPG infuriate me. 3mm steel gas tanks are safer than plastic petrol tanks - that has been proven. I think a lot of the negativity is Oil Company propaganda, as let's face it the profit margins on gas aren't as high and it doesn't fluctuate on a weekly cycle like petrol = less opportunity to gouge the consumer. That's just my 2c worth but.

For the benefit of those considering fitting LPG to a V6 s/c, i have attached some pics of my install.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 793
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 953
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 1,760
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 1,679

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The best way to go if it is performance you are after is LPG injection. You will need to run a different ECU as LPG actually needs the timing to retard as the revs increase, not advance like petrol does. Look at this site RageLPG.com.au: Services and here RageLPG.com.au: Gallery 3 3rd pic down on the left.

z80

Reaction score
Members Ride
380GT
Yep...the ECU is a must.

However the ECU is usually a piggy back, which means all it does is have the oxygen sensors plug into it...then it fixes up the signal to say that "all is good" to keep the main ECU happy.

You will also not have traction control after doing an LPG conversion on most cars though....it gets disabled.

I have the Impco sequent 56...vapour injection that doesn't need a to be run on petrol.
It starts on petrol until the thermostat opens...then switches to petrol automatically.

Also...the best part...if you floor the throttle it jumps back to petrol and back to LPG without the driver doing anything.

That, is a bloody good feature.

hey...the government gives you 2000 bucks back....what a gift!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Thjere's actually a supercharged LPG statesman getting around the west side here! He was at Taylors Lakes Shopping centre the other day, first i saw an LPG supercharged vehicle. But it's definatly not for me LOL

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
There is a warning in my handbbook not to convert the l67 to gas

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep...the ECU is a must.

However the ECU is usually a piggy back, which means all it does is have the oxygen sensors plug into it...then it fixes up the signal to say that "all is good" to keep the main ECU happy.

You will also not have traction control after doing an LPG conversion on most cars though....it gets disabled.

I have the Impco sequent 56...vapour injection that doesn't need a to be run on petrol.
It starts on petrol until the thermostat opens...then switches to petrol automatically.

Also...the best part...if you floor the throttle it jumps back to petrol and back to LPG without the driver doing anything.

That, is a bloody good feature.

hey...the government gives you 2000 bucks back....what a gift!

This particular system is a lazy system, it uses LPG for economy and petrol for power. The RAGE system uses a separate ECU to run the LPG, not just piggy backed.

z80

Reaction score
Members Ride
380GT
This particular system is a lazy system, it uses LPG for economy and petrol for power. The RAGE system uses a separate ECU to run the LPG, not just piggy backed.

Yeah?

Unless it's a full main ECU replacement then it too, is a piggy back by definition.

Not that it really matters....

If I am wrong then please post a link, i would love to read about it, I have done microprocessor design for work so i would be very interested in seeing how it handles the sensor data.

cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have a look at the link I posted earlier, RAGE use a separate ECU to control the LPG system, it isn't piggy backed onto the existing one but rather switches between the two.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I wonder if foamy could do a tune for a direct liquid gas install?

I was hoping to convert my car to gas injection next year sometime, well after my supercharger goes in, so i'll be watching this thread with allot of interest.

Hey Foamy speaking of tunes, check your emails :p

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Anyone with an L67, i would suggest against it, but your free to do what you want. There was a reason the L67's didn't have the LPG as a production option, and isn't in the Holden workshop manual.

Aftermarket superchargers are a bit different, but the L67 wasn't designed for it.

It's funny how a few people say you dont loose power, but no matter who i've spoke to they all say they've lost power with whatever setup they've gone for! But we shouldn't be getting into this debate again.