Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged model modification list

Sizzle87

ARGH!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC II
Except from max ellery VT-VZ manual. Hope this saves people who don't want the hassle some money and time. Maybe sticky?

Supercharged model modifications
Front drive belt and pulleys.
Supercharged models have two drive belts, one standard belt plus a belt for the super charger. <***Apparently their "standard belt" is longer.> Super charged models have an extra tensioner fitted, and two extra idler pulleys are required. A wider crankshaft balancer pulley with different specifications is also required.

Balance Shaft
The supercharged models have a balance shaft without grooves in the balancer weights and also the end of the balance shaft has 4 oil holes instead of 3.

Camshaft sprocket
Camshaft sprocket has triangular holes while standard camshaft sprockets has round holes.

Piston, Piston Pin and Connecting Rods
The piston pin is a larger diameter (23mm) and there for the piston and connecting rod is also different. Also the centres of the piston pin and big end are at a different distance.

Cylinder Heads
The cylinder heads have been altered due to the injectors in the cylinder heads.

Cylinder head gaskets
Supercharged models have special head gaskets due to the revised heads, also the gaskets are made of a different composition.

Fuel injectors and rail
Higher volume injectors are fitted to supercharged models. A different fuel rail is also used.

Inlet manifold
the lower inlet manifold is different due to the supercharger fitted to the inlet manifold and the injectors fitted into the heads.

rocker covers
the supercharged models need different rocker covers due to the extra clearance needed from the injectors.

throttle body adapter
a special throttle body adapter is used between the throttle body and the supercharger.

Coolant outlet and thermostat housing
coolant outlet to the radiator is located at the rear of the inlet manifold, therefore a different thermostat housing is used.

flexplate
the supercharged models have an extra counter weight on the flexplate.

Crankshaft balancer
A different crankshaft balancer is necessary because of the extra drive belt fitted, also the balancer is specifically designed for the supercharged engine.

Coil pack bracket and spark plug leads
supercharged models have a different coil bracket, therefore the spark plug leads and different and in a different position.

Spark plugs
The spark plugs are in a different heat category.

Engine management - PROM
The engine management is different.

Also, what I've found is that the plugs on the alternator back are different, one to the bottom the other to the top.

***Note - This is as I've experienced myself, as compared to my girlfriends vt acclaim n/a v6. However, if people experience other differences, or find that some things might be different in their experiences, chime in.

Last edited:

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
You forgot power ;)

Sizzle87

ARGH!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC II
Powheeeeaaaaaaa! <in freshy asian voice... so much funnier that way!>

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Spark plugs have a different gap also. (1.3mm as opposed to 1.5mm).

Are you sure the Main belt is longer?

Sizzle87

ARGH!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC II
Apparently so... just gotta double check against my mrs one... ######## from peps reckons they're longer... but i has a sneaking suspicion they aren't