Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged VK Calais

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Ok so a bit has happened since I was last on here...

The first task was to sort out the BOV/CBV problem, I ended up using a BOV initially because of availability and cost of Bosch CBV's. I worked out where I wanted the valve to sit in the intake piping and got it all ready for a mate to weld, then borrowed his BOV to see how things went (cheers again mate!).

The BOV seemed to be working as it should, venting the pressure in the piping before the throttle body at idle, as well as opening to vent pressure between gear changes. The only problem was the thing was bloody loud as being a small 25mm diam BOV and not yet plumbed back, so I did the only thing a bloke could do, I went and got a 2nd BOV that was identical and welded on another pipe for it.

Finally I had a silent way to vent the pressure, and its still not plumbed back so it can only get better!

As for boost, I was making 4psi on the 8psi pulley during the 38deg heat we had, not bad I thought. I later found the older of the two BOV's leaks slightly.

So today while waiting to get caps for the bigger injectors I pulled off the intake manifold to renew the gasket and check the TB gasket for leaks, also decided that it was a good oppertunity to polish/paint a few bits and put on the new manifold.

Heres a link to the 4psi test run and some recent pictures.
YouTube - Blown VK 4psi Test

Attachments

• DSCN7148sm.jpg
    DSCN7148sm.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 742
  • DSCN7152sm.jpg
    DSCN7152sm.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN7139sm.jpg
    DSCN7139sm.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 574

Com_VC

Reaction score
this is sex :)

some nice quality work going on there.

bring on 10psi :)

202injected

Quality Engine Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec. 3.6
Awesome setup!!:thumbsup:
I am in the processes of building a similar setup using a celica GT4 water/air intercooler to shorten the pipe work up. but i am gunna run at bit more boost prolly 10/12psi, as i have fully decompressed the motor to about 7.5:1 when i rebuilt it at work. Also am looking to run a Microtech or Motec computer and run sequential injection and 6 coil ignition, but more importantly to do away with the useless "flappie" airflow meter, it caused so many problems when i was running N/A with a phat cam.

regarding you brackets to mount the charger, did you make these up yourself or did you get them from CRS. I am looking to make my own and am after some info from someone who has done it. also do you have a pic of the bottom bracket

lastly do find it has an "lag" in power from using a front mount intercooler, some people with this setup on VN's have said this

Last edited:

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Cheers guys!

I bought my brackets from CRS to save a few headaches, unfortunately I never took a photo of the bottom bracket, but it picks up the top most engine mount bolt into the block and both bolts that go thru the cover over the mechanical fuel pump point.

You remove the original mech fuel pump cover plate and the bracket becomes the new plate to seal it, of course longer bolts are then used, as well as on the engine mount point it picks up.

I don't really notice any lag at all, a mate was watching the microtech controller while I accelerated and boost is pretty instantaneous.

I'm back at work now so I won't get a whole lot of time to work on the car, but I want it tuned on a dyno again asap, so I might have some power results soon...

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I find its driving pretty well mate, but it really needs a professional tune. To avoid leaning out under boost Liam and I really richened the mixtures up.

I filled up with the Shell 100 octane fuel a few days ago and it seems to have improved detonation if the motor is laboured up.

aussie_cruzin

got boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV Ute
Hey mate insane car u got there..love the shape of em hopefully i can get 1 sometime in my lifetime:thumbsup:

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Coming home from work last week I put my foot down in first and through to second and the gearbox let go. Sound like it might be a bearing, I'll post pictures up after I split it.

Luckily it happened about 1km away from home. Within a few hours I'd rang around for some prices on a Supra W58 to 202 bellhousing plus some other odd bits, and found a company selling brand new W58's on eBay with a 12 month warranty.

Should have her back on the road soon hopefully, then its dyno time!