Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Superchargers and Annual Safety Inspections?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ It's not only about hitting a Ferrari, it's also about hitting a $500 wreck & it careening into someone else & that someone else not being covered by your null/void third-party insurance so you pay their medical bills in perpetuity.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
^ It's not only about hitting a Ferrari, it's also about hitting a $500 wreck & it careening into someone else & that someone else not being covered by your null/void third-party insurance so you pay their medical bills in perpetuity.

Thats what TAC is :) Transport Accident Commission - not sure what its called in the other states......... I assume TAC will not cover any medical expenses as the vehicle is in essence unregistered. Would make for an interesting court case.

Last edited:

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
However - my point with this comment is that NSW RMS requires you to carry the certificate in the car

Are you sure about this? I don't recall any such requirement stated on my previous car's engineering. It's all recorded on the rego so it can be looked up by anyone official, just like whether or not your rego is paid/valid, since there are no stickers anymore.

So if the rule for your year of car says "85dB at blah blah blah"

Greatly simplified, any petrol engine car made since 2006 has to be at less than 77dBA going flat out, measured 7.5m away from the road (ADR 28/01). Which is whisper quiet BTW. Plenty of stock cars would struggle with this if measured. I'm suppose ADR is self certified by manufacturers...

Having recently gone through this myself, I had my Harrop 2300 install engineered and certified and in turn registered with Vic Roads and my insurance company.

Well done. I can't pass IM240 :(

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
This is all a minefield without National consensus. SA doesn't even have an annual inspection. For NSW afaik it is about safety (e.g bald tyres) rather than whether there has been an increase of more than 20% in power (How would they know or determine that?). If my insurance company has accepted my modifications is there a suggestion that if it exceeded emissions or noise that they could refuse to payout? I understand that canaries can be issued but basically 90% of cars in a car show/meet would not comply with non safety issues. In SA, in theory you can't even get a tiny tweak to the ECU without needing an engineers cert. Insurance companies would factor all this in with regard to premiums and who and what they will insure or not. I have an LSA so the blower is not an issue but the exhaust would be even though it meets ADR. As the Travelling Wilbury's used to say, everthing is legal as long as you don't get caught.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are you sure about this? I don't recall any such requirement stated on my previous car's engineering. It's all recorded on the rego so it can be looked up by anyone official, just like whether or not your rego is paid/valid, since there are no stickers anymore.
No you’ve raised a doubt in my mind; that was when I got rego in 2005.
Given that mine was certified under different rules, it’s probably still valid for mine though. Maybe not a newly certified car.

Greatly simplified, any petrol engine car made since 2006 has to be at less than 77dBA going flat out, measured 7.5m away from the road (ADR 28/01). Which is whisper quiet BTW.
Just the way he said it, if a car was measured at 75dBa for the purposes of certification & you modded it such that it was measured at 76.5dBa then that would be illegal; despite the 77dBa limit.

For NSW afaik it is about safety (e.g bald tyres) rather than whether there has been an increase of more than 20% in power (How would they know or determine that?).
This is a bit of a simplification; in NSW you can do an un-certified engine-swap without increasing power or capacity by 20%.
Changing induction, or something which affects emissions, instantly needs an engineer.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Have to carry in QLD.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
There is/was a difference between SA and WA with regard to the legality of light bars. Crossing the border went from legal to defect-able. Madness and how would an insurance company deal with that? We need the jurisdictions to be the same with regard to modifications to remove all this nonsense.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Greatly simplified, any petrol engine car made since 2006 has to be at less than 77dBA going flat out, measured 7.5m away from the road (ADR 28/01). Which is whisper quiet BTW. Plenty of stock cars would struggle with this if measured. I'm suppose ADR is self certified by manufacturers...
Well done. I can't pass IM240 :(

Are you 100% about the test being conducted when going flat out ? I recall engineers at work talking about drive by speeds like 60km/h and under. Why would the ADR make manufactures test above the national speed limits.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There is/was a difference between ..... WA

and everywhere on numerous fronts.

Some vehicle related aaspects include:

No RWC
No annual inspections
Radar detectors legal

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There is/was a difference between SA and WA with regard to the legality of light bars. Crossing the border went from legal to defect-able. Madness and how would an insurance company deal with that? We need the jurisdictions to be the same with regard to modifications to remove all this nonsense.

I know there has been a lot of talk and just talk, whereby all states and territories are trying to align modification rules to save hassles every where....But of course, it hasn't progressed very far.

In all instances, where by an insurance claim is to be made, even if an accident was to occur in another state in which the car isn't registered in, the insurance company would pay out, providing it complies with the states laws that the car is registered.

Defectable items seem to be a real grey area, whereby an item is legal in 1 state, yet defectable in another...I've heard stories where they can't defect your car in one state if it is registered in another...And I've heard visa versa too. But personally, I'd be questioning the state rego authority, if the car gets defected if it isn't registered in that state because of an item that isn't defectable in the state it is from

As for lightbars being a defect in particular states...I highly doubt it....Take a look at the front of interstate trucks....99% of them I see have light bars...