Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Superchargers and Annual Safety Inspections?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've heard stories where they can't defect your car in one state if it is registered in another...And I've heard visa versa too.

From experience, admittedly early 90's, a house mate had a Vic registered car that got defected in Perth. Gave him X days to fix it or get it out of the state.

He parked it in the garage for a few months until he was ready to go back east, removed the sticker and off he went.

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Are you 100% about the test being conducted when going flat out ? I recall engineers at work talking about drive by speeds like 60km/h and under. Why would the ADR make manufactures test above the national speed limits.

Sorry by "flat out" I mean accelerator flat to the floor, or close to, in 2nd or 3rd gear. This is approaching the mic. When it reaches the mic they lift off and coast. They take the average over the run. It's more complicated than this but the point is that 77dbA is not very loud. According to this for example, its the speed of a car coasting at motorway speeds (from the same 7.5m distance), or about the same as standing 15m from a freeway at 10am (76dbA). And you have to be quieter than that, with the pedal to the metal for half the reading.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Off topic a tad but just read this
“National registration and national licensing should be brought in,” he said. “If your vehicle is registered in one state and needs an inspection you need to go back to that state to have it done, prior to registration.

“For example if you are holidaying in Western Australia in your RV and you are from Queensland, you need to undertake the inspection in that state. A national system would ensure it would be easier. However I don’t believe the states will agree because they will lose out on the revenue stream attached to registration and licensing.” An interesting read.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...story/a3db560a324e1cb737b3ba6dd3df8136#.k0m1q

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Off topic a tad but just read this
“National registration and national licensing should be brought in,” he said. “If your vehicle is registered in one state and needs an inspection you need to go back to that state to have it done, prior to registration.

“For example if you are holidaying in Western Australia in your RV and you are from Queensland, you need to undertake the inspection in that state. A national system would ensure it would be easier. However I don’t believe the states will agree because they will lose out on the revenue stream attached to registration and licensing.” An interesting read.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...story/a3db560a324e1cb737b3ba6dd3df8136#.k0m1q

Whilst I haven't read the story, part of the issue is, not all states have a regular inspection of vehicles.....I'm aware S.A doesn't require one and QLD only requires an inspection when the car has been unregistered for a certain period of time or ownership of the car has been changed and I think W.A is the same as QLD....So for these scenarios to take place, the whole inspection system needs to be uniform across the whole country, which is pretty much the same as the modification laws....Getting all the states to agree on the same set of rules

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don’t think you need regular inspections for modifications-related rules to be effective. The proportion of modified cars is so small, I think that the chances of a defect-notice & the inability to sell the car without an inspection is enough.

The only thing yearly “safety inspections” do is to stop cars deteriorating due to lack of maintenance such that they become unsafe. But crashes caused by mechanical failure are a tiny fraction of all crashes, in fact I think it’s under 1%. So the whole impost of a yearly inspection, with a fixed price such that a mechanic can’t make a profit on it, is a pretty big inefficiency.

The uniform road rules were never going to happen; and they mostly did. There’s no sensible reason for there being no inform modification rules, it’s not like we don’t have the same conditions & problems in all states (albeit to different degrees).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I was reading that Wheels bit about the W1 assembly line yesterday ... apparently for the recent past, HSV's have been arriving from the Holden factory as a fully assembled & complianced car.
So I wonder whether a Clubsport is a Commodore from a paperwork/ADR's point of view?

Every car that left the Elizabeth plant was required to be registerable and comply with all relevant ADR/Emissions regulations. This included all vehicles sent to HSV for modification.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There’s no sensible reason for there being no inform modification rules, it’s not like we don’t have the same conditions & problems in all states (albeit to different degrees).

Agree, the reason we don't have unfirm laws is coz of those idiots that sit in each of the state parliaments allowing their egos to get in the way.

poppy bill

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf s2 SSV
Having recently gone through this myself, I had my Harrop 2300 install engineered and certified and in turn registered with Vic Roads and my insurance company. The guys at Vic Roads looked at me strangely, implying that I am a rare breed having this paperwork for such a modification.

At the end of the day it comes down to risk management. How likely are you to have an accident and in turn have your insurance company reject your claim and similarly Vic Roads stating your car is not roadworthy and you are up the creek without a paddle for TAC too. For the sake of $2000 I just did it. Not worth having an accident with a Ferrari and your insurance company says sorry not insured go and pay for their repairs........
arthurk do you mind telling me where you got your car certified as I am thinking of going down the same path. Thanks Regards poppy bill

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Having recently gone through this myself, I had my Harrop 2300 install engineered and certified and in turn registered with Vic Roads and my insurance company. The guys at Vic Roads looked at me strangely, implying that I am a rare breed having this paperwork for such a modification.

At the end of the day it comes down to risk management. How likely are you to have an accident and in turn have your insurance company reject your claim and similarly Vic Roads stating your car is not roadworthy and you are up the creek without a paddle for TAC too. For the sake of $2000 I just did it. Not worth having an accident with a Ferrari and your insurance company says sorry not insured go and pay for their repairs........
Agreed. Same with my brake upgrade...most won't bother, but for $800 I won't need to explain myself to a judge if the shite hits the fan.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
arthurk do you mind telling me where you got your car certified as I am thinking of going down the same path. Thanks Regards poppy bill

Hey poppy bill I had it all done at APS in Frankston. Great bunch of guys.