Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

surging in drive (4th gear)

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
My car has been surging for sometime...originally it brought up a fault code 35 so I cleaned throttle body and iac valve....and it went away......now the surging is back but the iac and throttle body is clean.

Can anyone help please.....oh ocassionally there is a miss or two...complete loss of power for a split 2nd....I susspect 2 problems

Cheers
for any help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it surged in 4th above 80kph when the torque converter is locked solid it could be the TCC playing up and locking/unlocking the TQ. But if not then its the usual culprits to check - though you probably have checked these already. The coil pack may have a split in one of the coils, the CAS could be starting to fail, fuel filter may be blocked, fuel pump may be failing (have you run low on fuel lately?) and plugs and leads could also be checked. Good Luck.

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
Cat Converter?

Check out the Catalytic Converter, I think I had a very similar issue. Mine was all broken up and caused back pressure in the exhaust. Replaced it and it worked a treat.

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
forgot to mention, the car only has surges in 4th @ about 1700 - 1900 rpm
@ 90 - 98km it has the occassional loss of power / miss for a split 2nd. It also usually only does this after at least half hour of open road driving.......
Could the air filter be just dirty?????

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Put it in 3rd and see if it does the same as it still sound like the transmission lockup clutch to me.

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
only in 4th mate all other gears a fine!!!!!!! even 4th is fine once above 2000rpm.......would a trans service fix?????? if you still think that is the prob.
im stll not sure I thinnk it may iac valve tired or airflow meter??????
I hope you have a fair idea of prob Hako coz I am stumped!!!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd first find a reputable auto trans place and explain your problem ask if it could be the TCC (torque converter clutch). They should give you an honest explanation if they are a good shop. There is probably a way of eliminating the lockup to check yourself for sure....maybe do a google search on 4l60e.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
Cheers hako I will have a look... I did have trans serviced 20,000km ago...
I will prob make a start and go through the basics......how to I check coil pack??????? and leads?????? I will replace plugs I actually did leads 6mths ago so I would not suspect them.......I will clean my k & n panel filter....forgot to mention I have a cai kit so a slightly dirty air filter could cause this?????