Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

suspension issues

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Dry rubber joints? Seems then re-tensioning bolts has made things worse.

Did they use rubber bushes or urethane type bushes? Try spraying bushes with some lithium grease and see if the noise goes away.

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Yeah seems that it made it worse again.

I'm not to sure about bushes and rubber joints, immortality.

I will get my mechanic to check and spray bushes tomorrow. Car wont be driven before then.

D

devilly

okay so let me get this correct, is it like the front of car is rolling like a boat.this kind of sounds to me like the front struts the inside's have gone.

what happens when you go to drivers side front guard stand near the wheel and bounce the front end any noise ? and then try passenger side.

when its pushed down left then right side front quarter panel does it spring up and stop or keep bouncing ?

any noises when you do this ?

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
No noise or bouncing when pushing on the front guards. Suspension feels firm and good.

Hard to record the noise it doesn't come through well in the video. Sounds a lot more clear in real life. Anyway here is another video for those interested. Also it kind of sounded like some noise was coming from rear end too? Im trippin out I reckon.

Here is video: https://youtu.be/1vEQnMwNoEs

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
i cannot hear anything other than the normal thud it makes when it gets to full lock and hits the bump stop?

D

devilly

i didn't see any coloured dots on the wheel.when they do wheel alignment with lasers they put coloured dots on them.also looked werid, dunno if it's the camera angle or the bottom of wheel looks inward a bit.

another test is when you put fingers inbetween the guard and the wheel it should be the same amount of fingers to the same spot left and right.

also the second time the wheel moves out you can see a bush or something that looks way compressed.

how does it drive at the moment ?

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
So turns out the noise was coming from the rear. My mechanic sussed it out and says it is the bushes (and maybe swaybar) in the rear and only when full locked. Likely to be either dry or just old. He said there is no safety concerns as it doesn't do it when it is driving and it handles well.

I will be doing the bushes, swaybar etc in a few months time as I plan to upgrade shocks and throw a camber kit in too.

Cheers for all your help.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i didn't see any coloured dots on the wheel.when they do wheel alignment with lasers they put coloured dots on them.also looked werid, dunno if it's the camera angle or the bottom of wheel looks inward a bit.

another test is when you put fingers inbetween the guard and the wheel it should be the same amount of fingers to the same spot left and right.

also the second time the wheel moves out you can see a bush or something that looks way compressed.

how does it drive at the moment ?

You sure? I thought the coloured dots are from the tyre manufacturer and have to do with the weight distribution of the tyre. One of the dots is usually placed close to or in alignment with the valve to help balance the overall wheel/tyre combo.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Technically it should be lined up with the dimple/marking in the rim (which is often not anywhere near the valve)
But sshhhh, don't tell anyone that. At the end of the day the wheel is balanced with weights so it doesn't matter.

Dimple_zpsrbi8qfak.jpg

Then you get cheap chinese asymmetric tyres that have the dots on the inside of the tyre...... completely useless

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not sure, all I know is I had tyres fitted recently and all the dots on the tyres where very close to the valves.