Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Upgraded headunit and stero system.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
I purchased a brand new SV6 sportswagon three weeks before christmas. One of my biggest dislikes was the stero system. The speakers were rubish and the headunit looked cheap.

Before taking delivery of the car I had already pruchased a Calais headunit, DVD player, Focal 4 channel amp and Focal K2 speakers. It took a while to come together as I had to pull out the cars HVAC unit and send it off with the Calais headunit to be programed to work in my car.

While it was away at no limit I also purchased a reverse camera modul and a RCA in kit. It all came back a week later and then the big job of fitting it all.

I pull all the door linings completly off and linded the doors with dynamatt inside and out. New speaker cables were run to the Focal amp that was fitted under the drivers seat. The new headunit went into the dash and the reverse camera, RCA in and DVD player. Focal speakers went into the doors and I fitted the tweeters into the standard factory location. I also disconected the centre speaker.

The DVD player was fitted into the glove box and RCA wires run to a switching box. Also run to the switching box is a 3 lead Iphone cable. I am able to listen to music and watch videos from my Iphone at the flick of a switch. The bonus was that I am also able to charge the Iphone/Ipod at the same time.

I pulled the headrest out and cut two soundstreem screens into the leather. The wires run back to the DVD player. They are IR screens so the kids can listen with wireless headphones.
The hardest job was actually fitting the reverse camera. The tailgate linings all had to come off and then run cables from the boot to the dash. It took the best part of 5 hours to run the reverse camera and hook it up.

Its now completly finished and working perfectly. The sound is unbelivable. The quality of the focal speakers needs to be heard to fully appreciated. The reverse camera works like a treat, it mutes the stero and automatically switches the screen over to the camera.

While I was going I also pulled out all the seats and put SS leather seats in, got a window tint and had 20s fitted.

I love the look of the HSV E2s and wanted my sportswagon to look a bit different so I got a GTS bar and bonnet cheap. I had my spraypainter fit it all up. The DRLs are very expensive for what they do.

Here are a few photos while I had the car apart.

Attachments

• IMG_1548 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1548 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 4,290
  • IMG_1550 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1550 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3,710
  • IMG_1551 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1551 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 3,203
  • IMG_1501 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1501 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,275
  • IMG_1505 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1505 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 3,318
  • IMG_1556 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1556 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,934
  • IMG_1503 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1503 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3,060
  • Sportswagon32 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Sportswagon32 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,390
  • IMG_1630 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_1630 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 5,897
  • 12907_0002 (5).jpg
    12907_0002 (5).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,027
  • 12907_0004 (5).jpg
    12907_0004 (5).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,508
  • 12907_0001 (5).jpg
    12907_0001 (5).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,079
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,024
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,980
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,192
  • DSC_5837 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC_5837 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,313
  • DSC_5846 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC_5846 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,199
Last edited:

JonnyDe

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I also think the Sv6 one looks a bit boring and cheap. Dont need the dvd player so how much did it cost just for the Head unit upgrade? Including the iphone cable

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
wagon looks tough as man good job!!!!!!
got any after photo shots of the interior?

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
wagon looks tough as man good job!!!!!!
got any after photo shots of the interior?

Yep, just put one in the orgional post!

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
I also think the Sv6 one looks a bit boring and cheap. Dont need the dvd player so how much did it cost just for the Head unit upgrade? Including the iphone cable

Calais Headunit $600
Programing + VIM $500
Reverse camera kit $500
I phone cable $60

Cable/wire, solder, tape misc $50

Gorman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
I was thinking about replacing the head unit also. Don't you also have to replace the heating and A\C system because the one that is standard with the SV6 is not climate controlled? If so, how much did that cost?

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
I was thinking about replacing the head unit also. Don't you also have to replace the heating and A\C system because the one that is standard with the SV6 is not climate controlled? If so, how much did that cost?

No you dont have to replace any of it. As I said in the origional post I sent the new headunit and HVAC (heating ventalation air condition) control unit to No Limits for them to program to work together. They also supply a wiring kit and 4 resistors to trick the system into beliving its dual zone. Other than that you dont have to touch the aircon system at all. Its nothing like the old cars!!

Look above for costs. It really depends on what you want your system to do. I went for everything including DVD and VIM which adds some cost.

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2009
Looks Awesome Good job. I want to do the same thing to my car. Where abouts did you get the Head unit from?

Gorman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
No you dont have to replace any of it. As I said in the origional post I sent the new headunit and HVAC (heating ventalation air condition) control unit to No Limits for them to program to work together. They also supply a wiring kit and 4 resistors to trick the system into beliving its dual zone. Other than that you dont have to touch the aircon system at all. Its nothing like the old cars!!

Look above for costs. It really depends on what you want your system to do. I went for everything including DVD and VIM which adds some cost.

That certainly makes an upgrade more attractive for me. I know with the VZ SV6 the heating and A\C system had to be almost completely replaced because it wasn't compatible with the climate control system of the higher end models (SS, Calais etc.). Based on what you are saying, with the VE is just a matter of programming and some wiring.

Question: Have you had any problems with the bluetooth?