Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 VE Brake Pads

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
You know I constantly think the same thing... QFM has just had a 12% price rise, but I'll be absorbing that till the end of June, after which prices will probably go up a little. LTM003 we don't really stock as it sort of sits very close to HPX anyway. We find anyone who's chasing a pad better than HPX, will just go for an A1RM type pad, leaving LTM003 pretty superfluous.. But as with all QFM pads, it's still very good! :thumbsup:

The only reason I go the LTM003's is they're slightly friendlier on rotors and in my situation, I don't think I require a pad greater than 560deg.

Ta

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
Also remember never to never use DOT 5 in a road car as it generally isn't compatible with the hardware you've got.

To add to your comment gslrallysport for people that may not be aware, it's not just the hardware that's a problem. Because DOT 5 doesn't absorb moisture, it can be fatal if your brake system isn't purged regularly. At least every 6-12 months.

Instead of the fluid over time becoming an (minor) emulsion of fluid & moisture as in DOTs 3,4,5.1, the moisture boils in small pockets which can drastically reduce the fluids compression ability.

Ta

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
would there be any advantages of getting a bigger rotor and not changing the caliper?
as i have to get new rotors anyway so i was thinking of going bigger, but i dont really want to change the calipers yet

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
lol. you cant go to a bigger rotor and not change the caliper.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
You wouldn't be able to either. The caliper needs to match the rotor. If you go for a bigger rotor the caliper won't fit back on because the caliper will be moved out further and the bolt holes won't line up.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
would there be any advantages of getting a bigger rotor and not changing the caliper?
as i have to get new rotors anyway so i was thinking of going bigger, but i dont really want to change the calipers yet

Rule of thumb? If you can engage your ABS in a heavy braking situation, it's not bigger rotors you're needing, it's better tyres. If on the otherhand it's aesthetics (sp.) you're after, bigger rotors (and calipers) all the way.

I've always believed (IMHO) that installing mega big brakes was not money well spent. They look the part but serve no real purpose unless you're on a race track. Just a good set of cold co-efficient pads and DOT5.1 fluid.

Ta

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
which brand of brake fluid (dot 5.1) would you recommend

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
TRW GP600. Good for 312 degrees (versus 270 for ordinary Dot 5.1), and still Dot 4 compatible. Relatively well priced also at $65 for a 1L bottle.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
i went down to autobarn and they had MOTUL brake fluid, my question is: motul has an ordinary dot 5.1 fluid, then they have this racing dot 4 fluid (RBF 600 & RBF 660) that is twice the price and from the specs on the back has better performance too, so wats the difference and wat should one use in a road car?

and i googled your TRW GP600 and it seems to be a 'racing dot 4' nothing about it being dot 5.1 anywhere?

zmr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS-V
they seem to shake a lot, but good stopping too

I have experienced serious brake shudder too....after braking hard several times. Pedal remained firm and brakes not fading...just a serious shudder or vibration through out the car.....I think there is an earlier post on this brake shudder....must try to find it....