Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

swaping engines

M

mitchy man

hey fallas

i have an 85 vk and i want to take out the six and put in a 308. i was jus wondering wether i need an engineering certificate or not. i would appreciate an answer guys i cant find anyone who knows, or any car engineers.
bye for know and thanx

M

mitchy man

i need a 308ci

im loookin for a 308. preferably a later model one aroud the 80s. and in decent condition.

c ya

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
As long as you use an engine the car came out with so a black 308 or 304 you wont have a problem.

Its a bit more complicated than just swapping engines, you will need to change gearbox, wiring will be different, fuel line, exhaust, radiator.

cheers
Scott

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
and you will need a disc brake diff aswell so ive heard

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
How much would you consider to be a reasonable price to pay for a secondhand BorgWarner V8 diff assembly, 3.45 centre, disc to disc to suit VK/VL??

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
im loookin for a 308. preferably a later model one aroud the 80s. and in decent condition.

c ya
where do you live?
in sa i think if it came out with the engine you are putting in you can get through with no engineers cert.
so you could put in a carby 202, efi 202 or a carby 308.
correct me if i am wrong

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
true that is, i ripped the 4cyl out my old LX torry, put in a hot 6, then later ran a 308 in it with rego and all.... no certificate needed...

stevenvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice gen 3, 1975 HJ Statesman
In Sa you can do alot more than other states i looked into in Perth and had a heap of problems but here its just a matter of changing the engine number with the transport department. You dont neccessarily need to run a disc brake diff as some came out with drums on the rear i am looking to put a disc brake diff on mine and was told not to worry about it. I got told its the same for a 308 and a 253 but i know with the VK's you have to put a 304 or 308 in nothing smaller for an 8.