Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping out stock steering wheel - Help removing please!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Does the same go for swapping out the front seats? I want to put in some racing-style bucket seats cause my brother has them in his hilux and they're super comfy so I would like some...But do the original seats have airbags in them?

No but I doubt they would be ADR approved so still illegal. Especially if you have to modify the seat rails.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Does the same go for swapping out the front seats? I want to put in some racing-style bucket seats cause my brother has them in his hilux and they're super comfy so I would like some...But do the original seats have airbags in them?

Must be ADR approved seats and rail's have to be engineered

EdPreece

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SV8
Must be ADR approved seats and rail's have to be engineered

I'm aware of the rails needing to be engineered, and I'd be willing to do that - so if they're ADR approved and I get it all legally engineered and do it all by the book and stuff - It is possible if I can fine some approved seats?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm aware of the rails needing to be engineered, and I'd be willing to do that - so if they're ADR approved and I get it all legally engineered and do it all by the book and stuff - It is possible if I can fine some approved seats?

A lot of the seats at Supercheap/Repco etc are ADR approved (just look for the sticker)

Hopefully you take into account the cost of the engineering....will probably cost the value of your car to get it all done by the book (Cheapest I have ever seen an engineers cert in SA for seats/roll cages etc is well over the $1-1.5k mark)...probably cheaper in NSW but still, it's not an easy excersize and definitely not worth it......I had aftermarket seats in my old VS for a few months...the novelty gets old very quickly.....I also had an aftermarket steering wheel (because my VS was not airbag from factory) but I ended up going back to the factory setup.....if your 16 years old it sounds like a great idea and might get you all the respect with the teenage girls but real world....it just looks wrong in a commodore.....(might be my age talking but P plater mods in commodore look stupid....leave it for the ricers)

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Mate for the cost of going through all that trouble you could buy a new VX with change left over. Realistically your only options are seats from a VX Commodore such as the SS or an HSV. I doubt you have side air bags. Easiest way to tell is the black infill between the front and rear doors will have SRS SIDE AIR BAG in white letters written at the bottom.
The only time you can ever fit an after market steering wheel without an air bag to a car that was factory fitted with an air bag is for track use only. Will never be road legal.