Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sway bar diameters VF1 SS FE2

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not as rigid? More compliant?
I was told they were "similar" to factory, but also readily available, cause no Monroes available quickly and KYB no longer list a suitable strut.
Plus I'd already spent so much on this old car I became a tightarse.
Damn, It's hard to find anything quickly, even in Sydney Metro. Sign of the times really.
On my ute they feel more like a comfortable strut, that's the best way for me to describe them.

Old rear struts I don't know if they were worn out or not as I had to pay Pedders to disassemble them as my spring compressors slipped as did the jig type press the local garage tried.

I would say Sachs are not a high dampening type shock, not on lowered springs anyway. That's just my thoughts. They seem decent though, even though someone on JC mentioning they only lasted six months on his bus. They were more expensive than KYBs but KYBs were on back order for too long, so I was offered Sachs for just a few dollars more.

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
OK, sachs struts are in guys. Nice and firm, absolutely on par with what came out, so I don't feel I've gone backwards at all in terms of the SS FE2 sporty feel. $86 for each strut at spares box if anyone else wants to take the leap. Wet here today so haven't done any aggressive cornering yet.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
OK, sachs struts are in guys. Nice and firm, absolutely on par with what came out, so I don't feel I've gone backwards at all in terms of the SS FE2 sporty feel. $86 for each strut at spares box if anyone else wants to take the leap. Wet here today so haven't done any aggressive cornering yet.
Thanks for the update. Looks like my suspension guy was correct.
Maybe mine feels different being in a SV6 vs the higher rate springs in a SS?
Or else I am just too focussed on it.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm getting my Sachs taken out and replaced with Monroes next week. I'm looking for ward to it.
The suspension guy I use is making a warranty claim with his supplier, so I'll just paay the difference - the Sachs have failed.
Interestingly, he tells me the supplier does not deal with Sachs anymore due to "too many problems with them"?

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Hi guys, can anyone confirm front and rear sway bay diameter for a base level 2013 VF1 SS with FE2?

Went to order some sway bar bushes from Repco yesterday and after looking up my rego he came back with 4 different diameter bushes.
A forum search has revealed perhaps 23/24 mm front and 18 mm rear?

Cheers all.
I know that the sway bar on my MY 14 SSV Redline is 27 mm and it is impossible to find a bush that fits .

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I know that the sway bar on my MY 14 SSV Redline is 27 mm and it is impossible to find a bush that fits .
The Redlines are ok stock, but they're over barred once you lower them with stiffer spring rates. The smaller HSV sway bar sizing is much better for lowered and stiffened cars.

HSV use the 24mm FE2 (SS/SV6) front sway bar with a larger rear sway bar than FE2 to reduce understeer with sharper turn in, 20mm on sedans, 16mm on utes and 14mm on wagons.

Last edited:

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
It'd be nice to know what was fitted by Holden in the first place, but even they probably don't know ... like the 27mm vs 25mm Redline brake master cylinders, they probably have no idea when they ran out of the 27's and just started using 25's instead.

And then you discover that someone changed the sway-bars when the car was new, meaning it looks original under there but they're not ... so you need the bushes to suit what's actually there not what used to be there. :)
Good morning Forg.
Just curious but effect would have on my Redline if I was only to change the rear bushes to nylon.
Thank you.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If you put the D saddle clamp around a smaller bush, you can ream the bush larger on a milling machine. You could probably do it in a vice with a 1/2" chuck drill and milling tool or in a drill press.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm getting my Sachs taken out and replaced with Monroes next week. I'm looking for ward to it.
The suspension guy I use is making a warranty claim with his supplier, so I'll just paay the difference - the Sachs have failed.
Interestingly, he tells me the supplier does not deal with Sachs anymore due to "too many problems with them"?
Right - the shocks have been swapped out. Sachs being returned by the suspension guy. Car already feels better but time will tell if the clonking/creaking goes away.
The mounts and bearings were replaced 6 months ago and all looked OK when they came out. The front control arms and links were also replaced 6 months ago.
I compressed the old (6 months) shocks myself on the floor by hand and the 2 sides had different resistance/damping.

If anyone wants to chance it - the guy I use advises that the price of Sachs has been dropped to $87 per side to "move them on".
KYBs are apparently still not available.
Oh yes - I used Monroe OES Spectrums