Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sway bar diameters VF1 SS FE2

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Finally measured mine. 380mm at the rear, 395 at the front with no one on board and 3/4 tank of petrol.
It's low in the rear stock. My SV6 wagon was 405mm at the rear and my Redline ute with FE3 was 410mm.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
It's low in the rear stock. My SV6 wagon was 405mm at the rear and my Redline ute with FE3 was 410mm.
Now I'm interested in numbers, my SSV is 380mm Rear and 390mm Front, full tank of petrol.
Just done another Canberra run in my SV6 and I feel the suspension is getting more satisfying as time goes on.
Much better now with Monroes than when it had the Sachs in front - all of the clunking over suburban roads and general tip toeing/looseness has gone away.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All this neg talk on Sachs is causing me concern. Can't remember when I fitted them without tracing my steps. I paid extra as KYBs I couldn't get at the time. So paid extra for Sachs on the rear. I was told Sachs are a better shock too.
I even paid Pedders to assemble the struts as the local garage couldn't stop his spring compressor from slipping due to the really tight taper my rear coils have.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Now I'm interested in numbers, my SSV is 380mm Rear and 390mm Front, full tank of petrol.
Do these cars have tow bars and towed heavy trailers? Unless there's some sag in the rear, I haven't measured a stock VF as low as 380mm in the rear. My SV6 wagon is 380mm at the rear with King's 1st stage lowered spring and conforms with King's height chart for that spring.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do these cars have tow bars and towed heavy trailers? Unless there's some sag in the rear, I haven't measured a stock VF as low as 380mm in the rear. My SV6 wagon is 380mm at the rear with King's 1st stage lowered spring and conforms with King's height chart for that spring.
Yes to towbars. Probably no to heavy loads.
Hmmm, now I wonder about the springs and my measuring skill. Will measure again tomorrow (if I remember, the rain isn't too bad and I am not sent out on errands pre-Christmas).
All this neg talk on Sachs is causing me concern. Can't remember when I fitted them without tracing my steps. I paid extra as KYBs I couldn't get at the time. So paid extra for Sachs on the rear. I was told Sachs are a better shock too.
I even paid Pedders to assemble the struts as the local garage couldn't stop his spring compressor from slipping due to the really tight taper my rear coils have.
I may have had a bad pair or the quality may have dropped since yours were fitted. My suspension guy mentioned his supplier was discounting and then dropping them due to warranty claims (?).

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
385mm both rear sides and 398 at front both sides.
Now I'm borderline OCD.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I may have had a bad pair or the quality may have dropped since yours were fitted. My suspension guy mentioned his supplier was discounting and then dropping them due to warranty claims (?).
I hope so. PITA I'd I have to replace them again. I fitted the whole unit myself but had Pedders assemble the strut and there was no invoice, so I suspect it was a cash job, and I bought them from Super Spares so hard to take them back. Be easier to just buy new shocks and wear the cost. I'll see how they go long-term.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
385mm both rear sides and 398 at front both sides.
Now I'm borderline OCD.
Still low in the rear. Here's what my SV6 wagon looked like stock at 405mm with 28,000km's no tow bar or heavy loads carried.

20230523_154954.jpg

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Still low in the rear. Here's what my SV6 wagon looked like stock at 405mm with 28,000km's no tow bar or heavy loads carried.

View attachment 261791
It's mysterious, especially since I have had mine since it was 1 year old, ex Holden "Staff". Mine definitely sits lower than this. I don't recall it ever sitting this high. Must be a special factory pack :cool:
I don't think I have a suitable photo prior to the suspension work I had done, but all I did at the rear 6 or so months ago was change out the rear shocks. At the front, I changed out anything that looked/felt worn. Different strut mounts could account for a small amout of change.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Now, its my turn to go OCD.

My 2016 Calais V (V6, 72,00kms) with stock suspension and 19" rims is riding between 385-390mm front and back. The back is slightly lower than the front. It doesn't have any tow accessories, has a full sized spare and about half tank of fuel in it.

I doubt if the suspension wear down enough over 70k kms to bring 15-20mm drop in ride height. The ride comfort/ firmness has stayed pretty much the same since I bought her home.

Last edited: