Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Symptons of a blown head gasket.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hi guys, my friend who has no internet access at the moment due to working away would like me to ask anyone here what are the common symptons of a blown head gasket on his Vz ute.

It's a 5.7L v8, he has no water coming from the tailpipes, but has water flowing from the overflow pipe and bubbling in the coolant bottle. Car ran rough for a couple of seconds then went to 3/4 on the temp gauge, followed by engine light. No hoses are ruptured or in poor condition.

I though i would ask here because of the experience in these forums is good.

It may not even be a blown head gasket, but he wants me to ask.

Thanks all.

Mike.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
When was the last time the water pump was replaced? That's what I'd be getting checked first.

Usually with a blown head gasket you'd find water in the oil and/or oil in the water... Explains the running rough bit though. If the oil is a milky colour, or if the water is dark and thicker than usual, it's likely to be a head gasket.

MissSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 but have owned VC,VK,VL,VP,VT
yep could be radiator cap..something so simple yet overlooked easily.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
oh tell me about it..my friend has a charade, replace the radiator cap as the main seal **** itself...she put the new one on..a bit down the road she blew the top radiator hose..first thin gi suspected was a dodgy aftermarket cap...i was right that it was the cap..wasn't dodgy though, the old main seal was left in there so the expanding coolant couldn't go into the overflow and it musta built up so much preessure that it just blew the radiator hose..., shhe donne a goodoon it though haha, about a 20cm rip along it hahahaha