Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

t5 gear box

vn_commodore

Reaction score
can i bolt a 6 cyclinder t5 box to a v8 with just changing the bell housing

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the input shafts are different i believe.... can work with a custom made spigot tho. just need to ahve one machined to size for the crank diameter and the input shaft diameter

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
The V6 T5 is not as strong as the V8 though... there is a differnece betweent he boxes.

The V8 input shaft can be machined to a shorter length to fit into the V6.

With the price of V8 T5's, i can see why your asking!

aZk.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the V6 T5 box has different ratio's also. Greenfoam recon's it faster also then the V8 T5 box.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i am pretty sure the box's have the same bearings and are not any stronger or weaker. there is some stupid number of different versions or t5's. i think ya can just change the imput shafts to suit your motor
anyone ever finds some info in these box's it would be good. then there woudln't be any specualtion..

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
there was 3 different boxes i know that. the V8 one was the same but there is 2 different V6 ones, series 2 VR's onwards have a different shell to the earlier ones

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Besides the bellhousing and the fork (the v8 one is the same fork but has no weights on it) The V8 T5 has longer and less optimal go fast ratios but the long first gear is supposed to be a bit stronger just because of the ratio on the thing. I think in a VN or VP or anything else lightish it would be just fine though. In the states and England race cars are runing T5's with straight cut gears that are rated for over 600hp, expensive but good since you still have yourself a 40kg box :). The input shaft is an inch longer on the V6 than the V8, you can either make an adapter or cut the shaft. Both box's apart from the ratios are the same and are both the "world class" style T5

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
the different version i was talking about are with all the different vehicles that use the t5 and there variations in each vehicle. it would be interesting to know what else they were used in. we know ford and holden used them. and greenfoam has metioned us and engish race cars.
a mate of mine has a trans-am with a BW 5 speed so i would be thinking that is a t5 too

ChargedAuto

Reaction score
Website
www.chargedauto.com.au
Members Ride
VU S Ute
The Holden V6 T5 will fit behind a Ford 6 or V8 or vise versa. The Holden V8 ones only fit Holden V8's.

I was told once that the older T5 eg VP was stronger than the VS style one as it did not contain reverse brakes inside the box, less bits to go wrong.

I have a recon V6 T5 for sale :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The Ford boxes have a different case but the insides of a Ford T5 can go inside the Holden case or you can just have an adpater