Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 manual swap l67

Scullboy19

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh statesman supercharged
If it's already manual with the getrag then all he needs to do is change the clutch disk to suit the T5 input shaft. Hopefully it's already a single mass flywheel conversion.
The VS was the change over model when they went from the T5 (VS s1) to Getrag (VS s2 and s3). The getrag has the same speed sensor as the Auto. The T5 speed sensor isn't compatible. The input for the T5 speed sensor is also different to the getrag speed sensor.

There is no factory manual L67 tune. Someone has made that to suit. Also, the tune is on the memcal and can be moved between PCM's.

M30 = auto transmission.
So what’s the go in changing it then, any idea what needs to be done, also yeah ik that, that’s why I wanna keep that tune so I don’t have to retune it, like what’s gonna be the easiest and most effective way of doing it?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The easiest way is probably to use your current PCM and use a signal converter box to change the signal from the T5 VSS to the correct input same as the Getrag hall effect sensor.

Right now I'm not exactly sure what the recommended box to use is though, the one people used to use is NLA and the replacement from Jaycar doesn't work. Others may know what the current favourite is.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also would’ve just thought I could still use the flywheel that’s already on it as I’m fairly certain it was done right cause didn’t notice any vibrations at all
The Buick and Ecotec used different methods of balancing, Buick flywheel on an Ecotec apparently vibrates like a mofo. If it's the Getrag flywheel that's already in the ute then I'd wager it's a lot thicker because it's dual mass vs the T5 single mass (just go look at pictures of them). Pretty sure Exedy makes (or did make) a conversion flywheel for Getrag to T5 for VT-VY, which should be pretty much the same as the stock T5 one.

the one people used to use is NLA and the replacement from Jaycar doesn't work. Others may know what the current favourite is.
Fairly sure that one was just for changing the speedo pulse rate for different diff ratios, it didn't actually convert any signals. I also believe the ECU uses the speedo signal to know if it's free revving (like if it's in neutral) or not, just in a binary yes/no kind of way.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
getrag probably still got factory dual mass flywheel etc...t5 be solid.

Jaycar kit is nothing but trouble ever since it got changed years ago.

If there was vs v6 with t5 probably better to track down bits required to make it run properly or slap another getrag in with aftermarket flywheel & clutch kit as no simple easy way to fix issues as vr buick/t5 & vs ecotec/getrag differences are major.

L67 auto tune to match manual if modded correct would mainly be to stop it stalling on over-run or when braking.