Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 manual swap l67

Scullboy19

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh statesman supercharged
Ok, so I have a 2000 vs ute with an l67 in it and a getrag manual. I’m planning on changing it to a t5 gearbox which I brought as a whole conversion but my problem is how do I do the wiring for it cause the t5 has completely different plug, my mate reckons using the wiring harness that came with the gearbox and just extend a few wires but then I’ve got the problem of the ecu because I’m assuming the ecu that’s already in it won’t just plug into the manual wiring harness. So with that I was thinking of just cutting the plug from the t5 wiring harness and rewiring the plug back onto the wiring harness that’s already in it. He tells me that it’s different and wouldn’t work that easily but I would just like to know whether or not that’s possible so I don’t have to **** around with that many wires and just have to figure out what wire goes where onto the plug that would match the t5 plug.
Any info would be much appreciated

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I’m planning on changing it to a t5 gearbox which I brought as a whole conversion but my problem is how do I do the wiring for it cause the t5 has completely different plug but my problem is how do I do the wiring for it cause the t5 has completely different plug, my mate reckons using the wiring harness that came with the gearbox and just extend a few wires but then I’ve got the problem of the ecu because I’m assuming the ecu that’s already in it won’t just plug into the manual wiring harness.
"Whole conversion"? Didn't it come with an ECU?

Is it for a VS? Because it doesn't sound like it, they should use the same plug. If it's not then swapping the plugs isn't going to do anything for you. What's the part number on the flywheel?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The big issue is the different speed sensors between the Getrag and the T5. T5 speed sensor won't work with the normal VS PCM's as they don't have the correct components on the board. Obviously genuine VS manual models had the extra bits for it to work.

Scullboy19

Reaction score
Members Ride
The big issue is the different speed sensors between the Getrag and the T5. T5 speed sensor won't work with the normal VS PCM's as they don't have the correct components on the board. Obviously genuine VS manual models had the extra bits for it to work.
On the build plate it says m30 for the trans

Scullboy19

Reaction score
Members Ride

Is it for a VS? Because it doesn't sound like it, they should use the same plug. If it's not then swapping the plugs isn't going to do anything for you. What's the part number on the flywheel?
Well i brought it already manual with an l67 in it so the ecu would have the right tune for the l67 and manual and l67 never came factory manual and I got the t5 and all the bits to do a complete conversion from auto which I was planning on doing to my statesman l67 but am just gonna put the t5 in the vs ute instead and probs have to add the pedal box as well cause I’m fairly certain it’s on a cable setup but could be wrong and might have already been done to use a hydraulic setup but regardless the ecu has the correct tune for l67 manual setup and just chucking in a manual v6 ecu wouldn’t work let alone a Buick v6 ecu

Scullboy19

Reaction score
Members Ride

Also it’s a 2000 model vs ute and the t5 I got was from a 93 vr ute which would’ve been the Buick

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The VS was the change over model when they went from the T5 (VS s1) to Getrag (VS s2 and s3). The getrag has the same speed sensor as the Auto. The T5 speed sensor isn't compatible. The input for the T5 speed sensor is also different to the getrag speed sensor.

There is no factory manual L67 tune. Someone has made that to suit. Also, the tune is on the memcal and can be moved between PCM's.

M30 = auto transmission.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does the ute drive or did you buy it as a roller?

If it's a VR/Buick setup then the flywheel will be balanced differently and will vibrate pretty good if you just bolt it straight to the Ecotec.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it's already manual with the getrag than all he needs to do is change the clutch disk to suit the T5 input shaft. Hopefully it's already a single mass flywheel conversion.

Scullboy19

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does the ute drive or did you buy it as a roller?

If it's a VR/Buick setup then the flywheel will be balanced differently and will vibrate pretty good if you just bolt it straight to the Ecotec.
It was already driving with the getrag in it, recently blew a head gasket so have to take apart the whole top end so while I’m doing that thought may as well switch it over to the t5 while I’m doing work to it cause the clutch is on its way out. Also would’ve just thought I could still use the flywheel that’s already on it as I’m fairly certain it was done right cause didn’t notice any vibrations at all