Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 speedo gears

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Hi guys,

With the T5 gearbox, can you get any other then the std gears for the speed cable as mine is reading fast by around 5-10kms at 100km/h.

Also the cable is leaking due to the cable drive not having a seal, can you get a drive from another car with a t5 that uses a cable like a particular model falcon?

Cheers.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Nope falcons are bolted differently the best thing to do is fix the leak then take the plastic off the cluster and move the needle a notch higher to compensate the extra 5ks

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
With the T5 gearbox, can you get any other then the std gears for the speed cable as mine is reading fast by around 5-10kms at 100km/h.
What you need is a speedo correction box like the ones advertised on Marks 4wd Adaptors.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Or you could just get the correct gear, I run a T5 in my VK with VL 3.45 gears and my speedo is within 1%

What gear ratio are you running OP?

As for the seal on the Holden type box its just an O ring, measure it up and replace it.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Jaycar speed corrector kit... Problem solved

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The Diff ratio is 3.23. I have a brown gear which is 20teeth, a 21t version should do the trick if i can get one.

With the leak the drive itself isnt leaking, buts it allowing oil to run down the cable to an inline speed sensor i put in for the ECU to read off where its is then dripping out everywhere.
Ive looked at the drive assembly and theres no internal seal to stop oil getting in the cable, it has a little spiral to try and keep the oil in the box but it mustn't do a good enough job.

My speedo is still a mechanical one guys, so the jaycar kit is useless to me.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Last edited:

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Wrong bird but the same stone still did some good. Glad to have been of some worthwhile assistance.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
3.23 is easy you guys dont know what your talking about

From memory the brown gear was for a 3.08 diff standard on VN-VS etc

I am running a Black gear from an EL GT Falcon, its 23 tooth.

Go down to your local ford dealership and see if you can get a 21 tooth off a 1990-1995 V8 T5 mustang :)
Else look for a mustang importer, parts supplier etc, heck even give mal wood a call he might have one.

else order one from the states they are really common as they run a 3.27:1 diff ratio. Close enough I say.

The Ford part number is C4OZ-17271-A and it is red in colour

Scott

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
With the leak the drive itself isnt leaking, buts it allowing oil to run down the cable to an inline speed sensor i put in for the ECU to read off where its is then dripping out everywhere.
Ive looked at the drive assembly and theres no internal seal to stop oil getting in the cable, it has a little spiral to try and keep the oil in the box but it mustn't do a good enough job.

I had the exact same problem. Oil pissing out all over the exhaust. I unsuccessfully tried to jam a seal inside the t-drive to stop the oil running down the cable, tried a couple of different adaptors and they all sent oil down the cable. I ended up giving up doing away with the cable all together by fitting an electronic VDO speedo into my cluster. You can also calibrate the speedo to suit whatever diff ratio you have. So kill 2 birds with one stone - something worth considering... Although the VDO speedo probably won't look right in the VK cluster