Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] T5 VT-VY V6 Ecotec Manual Conversion

VSteve

Reaction score
ITEM: T5 VT-VY V6 Ecotec Manual Conversion

CONDITION: Excellent (Less than 100k on the box)

PRICE: $2000

DELIVERY/PICK UP INFORMATION:

PAYMENT OPTIONS: Cash on pickup

CONTACT DETAILS: PM

OTHER INFO: This is a complete T5 Manual conversion (not getrag) to suit a VT-VY Ecotec commodore. It comes with everything needed to convert your car to manual including:

Starter Motor
Solid Flywheel (Not Duel mass crap)
Clutch
Grey leather boot with Knob
Pedal Box with clutch cable
Shortened tail shaft to suit
Low mileage T5 out of VS commodore
Manual Memcal (Suits VT models only VX VY didnt have removable memcals)

The benefits of this setup is that the flywheel is machinable unlike the duel mass ones fitted to VT-VY series. Clutch kits are a fraction of the price compared to getrag clutches. Gearboxes are more common and cheaper, as well as being more durable.

This is still in the car and will be removed if/when sold.

BIG-EV

Project VT (In Progress)
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2000 VTII Executive 3.8L Supercharged V6 Wagon
wouldn't a hydraulic clutch be better than a cable? im liking the idea to put this behind my supercharged l67 don't know how long it would last at 250rwkws. I though the gertangs were stronger but wasn't the t5 used with the 5L too?

VSteve

Reaction score
wouldn't a hydraulic clutch be better than a cable? im liking the idea to put this behind my supercharged l67 don't know how long it would last at 250rwkws. I though the gertangs were stronger but wasn't the t5 used with the 5L too?

I like the feel of a cable clutch and went out of my way to make it cable. I think it just depends on personal preference. I know the ford guys put 200+rwkw through a T5. If you go dumping the clutch, chirping gears you will eventually break a $5000 box, let alone a T5. I put a standard duty clutch in as its cheaper to replace a clutch than a gearbox. Another reason I didn't choose a getrag is the external linkages put me off and the T5 has many stronger cousins you could replace the T5 with, such as a T56 and T5Z

BIG-EV

Project VT (In Progress)
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
ive never driven a car with a cable clutch but my bike was but thats totaly different. the old downside i see in it is the cable wearing out and having to be tightened over and over.

VSteve

Reaction score
ive never driven a car with a cable clutch but my bike was but thats totaly different. the old downside i see in it is the cable wearing out and having to be tightened over and over.

I like the cable because you can feel the friction point easier when you let the clutch out. Everything wears out. A clutch cable is about $90. What is a master/slave clutch cylinder worth? The oil in a hydraulic setup would also be a fire hazard. I'd rather a 30 second adjustment every six months personally.

VSteve

Reaction score
you have any pics? does it need a different tail shaft for an auto to manual conversion

I'll get pics soon. The tail shaft is a special length and has been custom built to suit. That's why i'm asking $2000 for it. It has a custom tailshaft, custom pedal box and custom crossmember.

BIG-EV

Project VT (In Progress)
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
im liking this... but after rebuilding my auto and spending 3k to get it strengthend and a stage 2 shift kit, corvette servos and a 3000 stallie i couldn't be bothered to rip it out and swap it over for a manual.
Mind you it would look sick in a wagon... my next car is gonna be manual though.. looking at dropping my engine into a vy ute

VSteve

Reaction score
I converted to automatic over the weekend so this is available immediately to anyone who wants it.