Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 Transmission Cooler

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Does anyone make an aftermarket transmission cooler for the Tremec T56 gearbox? Do any T56 owners run a transmission cooler as well? What one are you running and how does it perform?

I did hear that Malwood was designing one, and had one running. Does anyone know a price for this one as well?

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
are you talking a manual box ?

if so wont happen ever and besides if ya need a cooler for a manual ya have something wrong or ya just dont know how to drive and drive around in 1st all the time

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yes we are talking about a manual box!

I can tell you, it has happened, i researched and found some pics from Malwood's one:

T56OilCooler170807_011.jpg

T56OilCooler170807_024.jpg

Apparently the transmission oil was getting quite easily up to 90 degrees Clicus in 6th gear on the freeway doing 100km/h (in an XR6 Turbo, but same gearbox). It uses the same transmission oil as the power steering (and for a matter of fact the auto boxes), and that starts to burn shortly after 90 degrees from memory. The plan is to cool it down before temperatures get that high, meaning i wont have to change oil very often (i do a lot of freeway driving). The manual boxes are meant to be a sealed for life unit, same as the diff housings, but i think it's worth it having a transmission cooler to keep the oil in better condition. It's also handy for city driving when temps start to rise.

There is also not really any cooling for the transmission.

Reports were that after 90C was reached the pump was switched on, within 3km the temperature had dropped to 70C, then the next 5 kms it dropped to 50C.

Anyways, too difficult to get one from Malwood, so i've started to engineer one myself. Got everything worked out, now need to arrange for parts. Unless anyone knows of someone that has one that will suit?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Scavenge pumps are noisy :p

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Scavenge pumps are noisy :p
That one isn't apparently that noisy, can only be heard if idling.... when you wouldn't need it on anyways unless it's an extremly hot day. Going down the freeway you can't hear it. Although you can always switch on music over it.

Trick is getting one that is fairly silent. And it will be under the vehicle, not inside.