Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail Light Tinting

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
An after market exhaust system is required to have the same number of CATS, mufflers and also pass the DB levels. Technically a lot of after market exhausts do not conform to ADR standards. Mine doesn't :)

Your tinted tail lights are not going to be as bright as the originals, I can't see how that is a good thing?

You say that, but my lights still pass the specification required.

Exactly. There is no point in debating the matter as there are a lot modifications that people have performed that don't comply. So until I see and read actual evidence supplying that tinted tail lights are illegal, I will continue to keep them on.

If I do though, in fact receive or find such evidence identifying that they are illegal, I will remove the tail lights and retract my comments made.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Tail lights only have to be visible at 200m.. So alot of stock ones are way brighter then that..

In saying that I've recently followed a bloke who had completely blacked his out.. Literally couldn't make out brake lights until I was right on top of him. Still could judge braking based on distance and time.. But alot of people don't pay that much attention.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Tail lights only have to be visible at 200m.. So alot of stock ones are way brighter then that..

In saying that I've recently followed a bloke who had completely blacked his out.. Literally couldn't make out brake lights until I was right on top of him. Still could judge braking based on distance and time.. But alot of people don't pay that much attention.

Yeah I've seen that a few times with the fully blacked out ones. It looks truly bogan to me and does nothing to enhance the appearance of the car, sometimes subtle is best and IMO tail light tint is one of those occasions.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Try getting a shop to tint your car windows further than legal, I think you will find out differently.

So your saying that no shops, anywhere, ever, will tint anyone's windows anything lower than 35%? Wake up.

Also, I currently have a standard exhaust on my SS, which was installed by the exhaust shop that I got EPA tested at, and it reached 88 decibels. Now, seeing as though the legal limit is 90 decibels, good luck finding any modified exhausts on this forum that complies.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
I would like to ask though, can you find anywhere in any Act or Regulation to say that tinted tail lights are illegal? If the tail light combo passes the performance aspect of it's function, what makes it illegal?.

I have tinted tail lights (probably too dark) on my ute, but have installed high output LED globes. I get questioned by police all the time, even threatened to be defected. But in the Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010, Division 9 Brake lights Section, pages 90 - 105.

Division 5 Tail lights
68 Performance of tail lights
When on, a tail light of a vehicle must
-show a red light visible 200m from the rear of the vehicle.
-not use over 7W

Division 9 Brake lights
83 Performance and operation of brake lights
-When on, a brake light must show a red light visible 30m from the rear of the vehicle. (Same measurement for reverse and indicator lights in the same tail light)

Now, if the light is visible to this very specification stated in the regulation, how can you possibly be defected?

Just checked out your page, looks like your tint % is similar to mine, ill get those high output globes too, how many LEDs were in each globe ? Done a light test on my car, the globes are visible, but i dont think theyd quite reach the 200m mark... Wont have to last long anyways, Ill probably be selling the car in a month or so anyways...

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Try getting a shop to tint your car windows further than legal, I think you will find out differently.

Lol, i got my sv6 tinted 5% all around no questions asked and the vy 15% all around... 5% is a bit much, looks awesome but visibility is pretty poor, 15% is perfect can see at all times... 35% is just plain ghey - being that low why even bother to tint

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Just checked out your page, looks like your tint % is similar to mine, ill get those high output globes too, how many LEDs were in each globe ? Done a light test on my car, the globes are visible, but i dont think theyd quite reach the 200m mark... Wont have to last long anyways, Ill probably be selling the car in a month or so anyways...

Tail light performance meaning parkers on, tested at night time (because what idiot drives around with his headlights on in the daytime, we aren't in the Scandinavia area). The brake tail light globe must be visible at 200m.

Brake stop, reverse and indicator globes must be visible day and night time at 30m.

All my tail light globes are 50 LED.

My window tint is 20%.

I gave my tail lights 3 coats with Nightshade and 3 coats of clear and a good spit and polish.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I would like to ask though, can you find anywhere in any Act or Regulation to say that tinted tail lights are illegal? If the tail light combo passes the performance aspect of it's function, what makes it illegal?.

I have tinted tail lights (probably too dark) on my ute, but have installed high output LED globes. I get questioned by police all the time, even threatened to be defected. But in the Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010, Division 9 Brake lights Section, pages 90 - 105.

Division 5 Tail lights
68 Performance of tail lights
When on, a tail light of a vehicle must
-show a red light visible 200m from the rear of the vehicle.
-not use over 7W

Division 9 Brake lights
83 Performance and operation of brake lights
-When on, a brake light must show a red light visible 30m from the rear of the vehicle. (Same measurement for reverse and indicator lights in the same tail light)

Now, if the light is visible to this very specification stated in the regulation, how can you possibly be defected?

You say that, but my lights still pass the specification required.

Exactly. There is no point in debating the matter as there are a lot modifications that people have performed that don't comply. So until I see and read actual evidence supplying that tinted tail lights are illegal, I will continue to keep them on.

If I do though, in fact receive or find such evidence identifying that they are illegal, I will remove the tail lights and retract my comments made.

This relates to Victoria, but I would imagine it would relate to other states as well. Check the; "Guide to Modifications to Motor Vehicles" for your state.

See section 14 - Additional Lamps and lamp covers . http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/r...mber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf
Which states.... Quote. "The Standards For Registration specify colour and performance requirements for lamps on a vehicle.
To ensure continued compliance with these requirements, ANY lamp cover fitted to a vehicle must be clear, untinted, uncoloured and clean." End quote.

So, in reading that, I would interperate a tint as a cover, as the tint is actually "covering" the light.

Last edited:

ineedatankfull

vs apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina ecotec
the best thing i know of, taken from my uncle 20+ years as a painter is clear coat with a few drops of black (depending what ure after) looks a treat n is very polishable.
my skyline had black paint when i got it looked FN **** n got me conversations id rather not.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
This relates to Victoria, but I would imagine it would relate to other states as well. Check the; "Guide to Modifications to Motor Vehicles" for your state.

See section 14 - Additional Lamps and lamp covers . http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/r...mber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf
Which states.... Quote. "The Standards For Registration specify colour and performance requirements for lamps on a vehicle.
To ensure continued compliance with these requirements, ANY lamp cover fitted to a vehicle must be clear, untinted, uncoloured and clean." End quote.

So, in reading that, I would interperate a tint as a cover, as the tint is actually "covering" the light.

Clear and uncolored, then tail lights would not be red, indicators not amber. I think this may refer to the likes of headlight protectors. If they are going to make regulations like that, they would do better to make them clear and easy for everybody to interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.