Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail lights spray tint legal?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Thats what they tell you, But when it comes time to make a claim, they can turn around and say well your car doesnt comply so we wont cover the damage... same goes for lowering a car, or putting bigger wheels on... the insurance company can say no we wont cover it as it doesnt comply with regulations

Thats right you can be fully covered for lowered suspension but then if they find you with 60mm ground clearance when your car's getting assessed good luck getting a pay out

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
It's your car, do whatever you ####ing want to it.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I agree and disagree with some of the replys, I have my tail lights tinted I believe there is only 5% difference compared to stock.. I see alot of cars going around with blown bulbs, faded lights.. Even dirt filled lights and you can barelly see these lights! I believe if you do a small layer of tint it should be okay. But yes I believe it's illegal but if you don't go overboard and make them black completly you should be okay.

Also, How many brake lights are there on a VY? one, two, THREE. You've still got the brake light in the window/spoiler... and if you still can't see a car because they have tinted taillights.. should you really be driving?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
as mzak89 said, its your car, do what you want, it does say on the can for offroad use only.

if your really going to do it, just dont go too dark, light coats and 2 at max, they seem to go darker when it dries, as for putting higher wattage globes in i would advise against that, theres a reason theyre that wattage and the fuse to match, plus if you don't blow a fuse you will most likely melt something, im not sure if the VY Berlinas have LED taillights but if they do then thats better for you as they shine through the niteshades alot better than globes.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I agree and disagree with some of the replys, I have my tail lights tinted I believe there is only 5% difference compared to stock.. I see alot of cars going around with blown bulbs, faded lights.. Even dirt filled lights and you can barelly see these lights! I believe if you do a small layer of tint it should be okay. But yes I believe it's illegal but if you don't go overboard and make them black completly you should be okay.

Also, How many brake lights are there on a VY? one, two, THREE. You've still got the brake light in the window/spoiler... and if you still can't see a car because they have tinted taillights.. should you really be driving?

There are several cars in my area with tail lights completely blacked out and you simply can't see them from more than 20-30m away. Its a completely ridiculous thing to do. Normally its ok if you dont go overboard with the tint, but even then if you get a bit of dirt or sun glare off the lights you cant see them properly. I thought its pretty freakin clear why its illegal but some people seem too caught up with looking fully sik to see it

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
monkey if you saw my taillights you would think they were way too dark, i thought they were once they dried, but the light shines through quite well actually, i was surprised, even at night they can easily be seen from 50+m away and not that much dimmer than the center light in the rear window, i know because i had to follow my housemate in my car when picking up a new car

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
There are several cars in my area with tail lights completely blacked out and you simply can't see them from more than 20-30m away. Its a completely ridiculous thing to do. Normally its ok if you dont go overboard with the tint, but even then if you get a bit of dirt or sun glare off the lights you cant see them properly. I thought its pretty freakin clear why its illegal but some people seem too caught up with looking fully sik to see it

Yeah that's true.. You can get glare/ dirt on some normal taillights and not able to see them.. I agree with people going overboard, even the niteshade can says 1 coat is enough, and not to exceed 3 coats

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I see alot of cars going around with blown bulbs, faded lights.. Even dirt filled lights and you can barelly see these lights!

All of those cars are unroadworthy and they should be fined. There is no excuse for having a blown bulb. They cost about $2 and take less than 5 minutes to replace.

siroller

CAL 415
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl sl s/w mx7 a8 -- vy acclaim s/w 3.8A
also consider this. in VIC one roadworthy requirement is that your taillights emit the same amount of light (e.g. not one duller than another.)

i've been defected for this with one tyc taillight and one GMH even though the gmh was VGC not faded and full of dirt. I replaced the gmh light with a second tyc item and to my eye there appeared to be more difference. vicroads passed it without batting an eyelid.

it comes down to the fact that the police will get you if they want to. if it isn't tinted taillights it will be something else. the only real risk factor is attracting more attention than you already do.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
The worst are the people who get an S/SS and remove the spoiler, so they don't have a third brake light, and then they put niteshades on their tails. Extremely difficult to tell if they are braking or have just got parkers on at a glance.

im not sure if the VY Berlinas have LED taillights but if they do then thats better for you as they shine through the niteshades alot better than globes.
They don't, and they have a diffuser as well so they are already marginally dimmer then Exec/SS.