Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

taillights not working

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
it's weird how a blown globe can effect the tranny is such a way. I think it is similar scenario to my tranny problems electrical, BCM, maybe...

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I don't think there is anything damaged in my tranny...just something triggering the symptoms

BOXTROT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Swapped the park lamp relay for the heated rear window relay and no go but thats not a very good indication since the rear window defogger doesn't work anyway, im gonna replace those relays and see if it makes a difference. That has to be it cause the lights work fine when i put the indicator on or hit the brakes, i've tried replacing the headlight switch, no go, fuses are fine, no sign of wire damage. So ill see how i go.

WhiteVS

Stockish
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sacked VT Berlina
i had the same problem once. headlights were on but nothing and they worked when foot was on the brake. i checked the bulb's turned out they were'nt pushed in properly, pushed em in and she was all set.

BOXTROT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Tried new headlight switch, new relays, new bulbs. 94 stato mentioned something about the dash globes not working properly and weird things happening to the trans, well half my speedo doesn't light up anymore and lately my trans has been doin weird **** it will like slip when im going from 3rd to 4th, changed fuse 1 though so what else is there?

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Have you sorted your problem yet? I haven't been on for a while so didnt get to check.

Have you checked with a test light to see if you have power to the tail-light circuit at the back of the car?
also check with a test light that the power is going thru the #1 fuse, I have seen fuse holders that have melted and dont make contact. You may see fuses that aren't all lined up in parallel lines as a give away.

Having half your speedo light up makes me think it may just be the speedo globes blown, and probably not related to your tail-light issue.

As for the trans slipping 3-4, I think thats a separate issue too. Mine was using 3rd gear ONLY, no 1 or 2. Its a "limp" thing to get you home. What happened was it lost power to the selector solenoids so it went into limp mode.

I'd be checking REAL close that #1 fuse and the wiring to the back of the fuse box near #1.

Good luck
Tim

Dave VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS ute
Check the "park lamp relay" ....it's located with the other relays near the battery.

Spot on mate had same issue on a VZ SS Ute, No Dash Lights No tail lights, checked all Lamps etc nothing, No power at either side of the fuse.
Swapped the Park Lamp relay with the Demist Relay (both 16 Amp) and sorted I have tail lights again.
Fault most likely caused by using a trailer with bad wiring, it shorted out the tail light circuit. Good too see Holden Label the relays for exactly what they cover.
$10 for a new Relay awesome result