Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft - balance, vibration?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Uni in my VE had done over 210k when I had the shaft rebuilt and we kept the original uni as it was still in very good cond. The bearing was replaced and the shaft balanced better than it was from factory, IIRC it was rebalanced to be within 2gms whereas factory is apparently within 5gms. I'm not fully understanding why a centre uni is not a good option if they don't wear out like the Gen II ones do? The couplings on the other hand, well I don't love those as they are what I'd consider to be the weak point on a Gen IV.
Your problem wasn't the tailshaft. It was the drivers wheelbearing?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your problem wasn't the tailshaft. It was the drivers wheelbearing?
Yep, and I mentioned that could be the issue but so far I'm the only one who believes it could be that, At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Reactions: Lex

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Yep, and I mentioned that could be the issue but so far I'm the only one who believes it could be that, At least that's what it sounds like to me.
No I told @PlenumBiscuit to check his rear wheel bearings yesterday based on what you said as he only did the front but I said you need to check the rear carefully.
He looked at me funny and thought I was joking but I think he realised I wasn't :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found the rears quite hard to check because of the diff. I'm pretty sure I had my Kaaz in at that stage too. Mine had got about as bad as one could get, with the cage broken into pieces.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It could well be, going uphill would put more load on the rear wheels.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I found the rears quite hard to check because of the diff. Mine had got about as bad as one could get, with the cage broken into pieces.
But did it make any weird noises when the wheel was turned by hand? (I can't remember what you wrote at the time about the issue).

I actually suspect I have a bad rear wheel bearing on the Calais (VX) but seeing as I had the rear suspension out of the car a few years ago I'm not in the mood to do it again any time soon and it really needs to come out to be able to press in a new bearing :( Not a simple bearing hub that can be changed unfortunately.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But did it make any weird noises when the wheel was turned by hand? (I can't remember what you wrote at the time about the issue).
None that I could pick up. The real clue but to the untrained I missed, which should have been obvious was it had come loose and the mech who helped me fit the diff tightened the nut and all was good for a month or so. When they did my shaft they said to me later when fitting a new bearing, why didn't I tell them the bearing was loose in the first place?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
something else we questioned was with an LFX motor and VF trans in a VE wagon, would the car require a VF tailshaft or a VE tailshaft ?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
something else we questioned was with an LFX motor and VF trans in a VE wagon, would the car require a VF tailshaft or a VE tailshaft ?
They are the same 2012 onwards for the LFX
2012 transmission to end of VF I believe are the same but I definitely know that 2012-2014 are identical it's just the TCM code that changed that is why you now have a 2012 transmission as I flashed your TCM with the 2012 code to match your ECU which also now has the correct 2012 code in it and they are happily talking to each other instead of like the last clown who work on it just turned off all the transmission error codes so it looked like they were happy! - Big Difference

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
They are the same 2012 onwards for the LFX
2012 transmission to end of VF I believe are the same but I definitely know that 2012-2014 are identical it's just the TCM code that changed that is why you now have a 2012 transmission as I flashed your TCM with the 2012 code to match your ECU which also now has the correct 2012 code in it and they are happily talking to each other instead of like the last clown who work on it just turned off all the transmission error codes so it looked like they were happy! - Big Difference
There was thread on, l think tailshaft vibration, or something like that a few weeks ago. There was a tsb (gm service thing) can't remember exact details.

But bottom line was tailshaft was dropped to allow the back of trans to be able to come of, cleaned up & coated with lock tight & put back together. It was stop some sort of vibration?

I think @lmoengnr added that there was tsb about it & the fix?

I tried to find the thread, but couldn't.