Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft bearing gone again???

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Replaced the bearing less than three months ago and it has just crapped itself 15km away from home. No mob service and no bastrd stopped because they were all out of towner's that went by. So I drove it 5-8kph all the way home with it scraping the whole way and banging at times when I hit an incline. Why would a new Kelpro bearing just let go? Could it be caused by corrugated roads?? It was a little soft for my liking once I had it installed as it sat a little low, IMO. Cost me over $180 bucks labour to have it fitted to the shaft along with a new uni. Really pssed off because now I have to spend that again and have a new one fitted. Told the bloke I want a refund, will see how that goes.....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Should be covered by warranty = no cost to you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No it won't be. I supplied the part. The auto engineering place fitted the uni and bearing. I removed and reinstalled the shaft. Wished I had bought genuine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best I can hope for is a refund on the part, bought off eBay.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm yet to get the ute over the pit and see what damage the floppin around shaft has done.... I'm almost tempted to pay some bastrd to do the whole lot.... I hate having to do the same thing twice. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Were you getting any odd vibrations after the centre bearing was replaced? If so it may have been assembled wrong and out of balance.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Didn't notice any vibes. I painted the parts so that they went back the same. Someone said that a previous owner might not have put it back together right. Is there any instructions on where the unis should sit in the way they line up?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For the early Commodores the uni's were 90° out (this cancels out the variation as each universal rotates) but somewhere along the production run Holden experimented with the drive shaft phasing to try to eliminate harmonics.

What actually failed on yours, the bearing or the rubber mount?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For the early Commodores the uni's were 90° out (this cancels out the variation as each universal rotates) but somewhere along the production run Holden experimented with the drive shaft phasing to try to eliminate harmonics.

What actually failed on yours, the bearing or the rubber mount?

The rubber mount broke away like it did last time just a few months ago. I checked the mount only a few weeks ago and it was all intact. Drove home towing my trailer and just drove 15-20km of dirt with some corrugations going up the hill. The mount let going coming down another hill. I was on the brakes pretty hard 2 or 3 times don't know if that makes any difference?? Since install there was always a fair amount of movement in the boot. It was like the rubber was not stiff enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shaft is out in one piece. I noticed a new uni has jumped the clip. Could banging around do that or could that be why the dampener went? I had an auto engineer fit the uni as well. Not sure if he would say yepp that has caused the issue or whether he will say nup the broken dampener has made the uni jump the clip?? But last time the dampener went it did 20 more times banging around because I had to get off a main road and drove 2 or 3km waiting to find a safe pull out and the uni clips never moved. This time it hardly banged because I crawled at no more than 8kph and if I heard banging today I slowed or stopped.