Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft question: Converting Auto to Manual

Cam01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SSV Wagon
Hi guys. Long time reader but first post. I'm hoping for some advice please.

I'm converting my 09 VE SS Wagon to a manual. The auto finally dead, and bought an auto as my ex-Mrs refused to learn how to drive a manual... .anyway. Just to get it out of the way, (i.e. why don't you just buy a manual?) the car is well maintained and upgraded where it counts for performance and reliability (uprated oil pump etc etc), and don't want to buy a manual car potentially riddled with the faults I've already fixed on mine; that's the reason for converting it. Plus, they're going up in value.

I have all the parts I need (TR6060 for L98, crossmember, diff, tailshaft, gearshift, master and slave cylinder etc etc) all at a very reasonable price and in good condition. I've ordered a VCM11 cam kit, LSA / LS9 injectors, short shifter, Exedy clutch kit, and uprated fuel pump with future mods in mind.

My question is:
Does a manual SS VE S1 manual sedan have the same tailshaft as an SS VE S1 manual wagon? Also, any recommendation of diff ratios? i.e. I might buy an LSD.

Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Can’t help with the tail shaft question but the std manual diff ratio is 3.45 I’d think your auto diff will be 2.92 and you could go to something like a 3.9 if you want more response also I’d think you would need the manual ecu for your conversion? Could be wrong on that and you’ll probably need the manual firewall plate to bolt your clutch pedal and master cylinder to, there will be lots of other small bits and pieces as well like I remember with my old vs auto to manual swap we had to get a manual starter motor as the auto one doesn’t mesh with the flywheel

Cam01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SSV Wagon
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I've been away on holiday. Thanks for the info here. Much appreciated.
The wheelbase dimension between the VE wagon and sedan is identical (unlike previous commodore wagons) so I think it should be ok fingers crossed. I'll have a look at diff options as suggested. Looking at the starter motor for the VE L98, there's only one part number (no auto or manual specifically).
I'll post once I've completed the upgrade for anyone else looking to do it.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
might be easier with a manual engine loom also as the auto will have many wires that would need to go somewhere as to not cause faults and manual has reverse lockout solenoid ect, also the tune u will have to change to manual, also injectors make sure they face the right way as LSA injectors spray at an angle and u will have to get those set in the tune also before u fire up

Cam01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SSV Wagon
The workshop I'm using has done quite a few conversions, but this is all good info when I drop off my installation notes.
Thanks for the advise guys.