Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tappets???

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
engine tapping/knocking sound.....Tappets???

I test drove a VS berlina the other day and it had a tapping/knocking sound from the engine. It wasn't loud at all but you could certainly hear it. My dad (who thinks he know everything - but doesn't) said it was the tappets (is that even how you spell it). He said that he's had a few cars that made the same sound and it was the tappets. He said that although the sound can be annoying, it isn't that big of a deal. Is this true or should I stay clear of this car??? Any info would be appreciated and helpful!!!

BTW the car is an auto with 210K on the clock, and is completely stock. The dealer said it was owned by and elderly mechanic before it was traded on a new car (its for sale thru a holden dealer). The asking price is $5990 drive-away. What do you guys think - possibly a a good car for the money or rip-off

Cheers:D

Last edited:

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
6000 isnt too bad fro a vs berlina, as for the tapping noise i dont think a "tappet" exists, though some motors can make a tapping type noise where others dont for some reason, 210 is a little long in the tooth but if its in good shape then that shouldnt be a problem.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
oh ok. Yeah its a really clean car - might get an racv person to check it over first tho.

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Tappets

Tappet = Valve Lifter

Old School...

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
6000 for a car with 210 on the clock... might wanna c if it got a good service history if ya can and get some1 to look over it... look around and c if ya can find a better deal

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Yeah the service history only goes to the end of 2002. Might not be a good idea after all...........

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Ask the used car dealer if you can speak to the previous 'elderly mechanic' about the car. If all is OK with the car and the story you have been told is TRUE, then they should give you his phone number. (never trust a used car dealer unless this is his first day on the lot and you are his first prospect)

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
You will never guess this, but it was his first day on the job and I was his first customer!!!!!!!!!!!!