Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Teaching manual

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I would get them to learn in a manual for all their other car control learning and then pay for them to learn how to drive a manual in a driving instructors car, well worth the "couple of hungies" to save wear and tear on your clutch

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I was talking to a driving instructor a while back who had just replaced the first clutch in his yaris after 120,000 ks. He said if you teach people to drive properly they are only hard on the car for the first few minutes you ever spend with them. Then he took me from never having driven one to being 100% confident in 30mins so I guess if you teach the person properly the car should be fine

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It's to be expected Brett... learners hitting gutters and wearing out the clutch is one thing, but I think OP was talking about the jerking and stalling of the engine. At least that's how I took it.

I think one thing the OP needs to check however is insurance issues.
Pretty sure if you are constantly taking learner drivers out in your car your premium is going to change.

I didnt say it wasnt to be expected, I was just using this as an example of how quickly the parts of the car can get worn when inexperienced drivers trying to learn to drive in it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I was talking to a driving instructor a while back who had just replaced the first clutch in his yaris after 120,000 ks. He said if you teach people to drive properly they are only hard on the car for the first few minutes you ever spend with them. Then he took me from never having driven one to being 100% confident in 30mins so I guess if you teach the person properly the car should be fine

The guy must not have been teaching many people if he got 120,000 from it before it needed replacing, because the guy who does the driver training from joblink told my young bloke that they go through cluches a lot in the learner cars.( either adjustment or replacement). This car only had a few hunded K's on it the second time my young bloke drove it, and the clutch was already worn and releasing near the end of its travel, so Id love to see one last for 120,000 km in one of these learner cars.... Theres no way every single person learning to drive is gonna pick up using a clutch properly straight up, no matter who's teaching them, so obviously its gonna cop some sort of a floggin from people who dont "get it" straight away.

Last edited:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
As others have said - driving instructor's car = the way to go. No bloody way would I attempt to teach someone manual in a VE...I remember when I first learnt to drive manual, I sucked. No bloody way would I have wanted to drive a car as valuable as a VE that early. (for what its worth, first manual I drove = late 90's Mitsubishi Mirage :thumbsup:)

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I have taught four sons to drive so far, all in Commodore 6 cyl manuals.

I agree that the first lesson has to focus just on using the clutch. Generally takes less than half an hour, and then I don't have any issues.

My VL was still on the original clutch when I sold it with 150K on it.

The VS II clutch was replaced at about 180K.

The VY II and VE clutches were original, though I traded both of those before 80K. haven't taught anybody on the VE II yet.

commodoreboy12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
thanks for the support and help boys i couldent care less about the clutch its a brand new car so and the only reason I asked is because is they stall or make the car jerk or forget to take it out of gear and stop at the lights and the car jerks/shakes and stalls if thats not bad for the car if stalling constantly and not getting clean gear changes all the time isnt bad for the car I couldent careless ve's are pretty strong especially sidi's

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
thanks for the support and help boys i couldent care less about the clutch its a brand new car so and the only reason I asked is because is they stall or make the car jerk or forget to take it out of gear and stop at the lights and the car jerks/shakes and stalls if thats not bad for the car if stalling constantly and not getting clean gear changes all the time isnt bad for the car I couldent careless ve's are pretty strong especially sidi's

Missing/crunching gears could eventually wear the synchros.