Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tech 2 advice

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i have changed the center gauge in my ssv.

106aaew.jpg

from this one.

anofbo.jpg

to this one.

the center gauge which is the oil temp does not work and i have read that the oil temp needs to be enabled to broadcast on the can.
so i thought i should ask if anyone can confirm that this can be done with the tech2 or if someone has had this enabled and how?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
i have changed the center gauge in my ssv.

the center gauge which is the oil temp does not work and i have read that the oil temp needs to be enabled to broadcast on the can.
so i thought i should ask if anyone can confirm that this can be done with the tech2 or if someone has had this enabled and how?

Has to be enabled in the ECU.. and not all ECU's support it either from what I understand. Has to be enabled via a tune I believe which is not possible with a tech2.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ahh damn looks like i will just leave it how it is.

I have a 7inch pcduino screen i might see if i can fit it into that spot and run it on android and write an app to give me some gauges from the swcan.

Thanks for the info anyway 

Last edited:

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON

run it on android and write an app to give me some gauges from the swcan.

Thanks for the info anyway

Can you get screens that roughly fit that size hole? Would be an epic project - I haven't found anything that size but I've only checked RS etc.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
not sure if you will find one that fits it really good the screen holden uses is 22cm x 5cm.

I have 7inch and 3.2inch lcd screens.

the 7inch screen is a touch screen that you can run Linux or android on with a pc duino board.

8x0p7d.jpg

you could make it fit if you cut into the top of the aircon vents and you would have to design the app to suit the visible slot.
29vavxg.jpg

the 3.2inch screen is also a touch screen but you load graphics and code onto a sd card and use a normal Arduino board to interface with the screen.
fawwh5.jpg

you could use 3 of them to fill the slot.

3.2inch screen

7inch screen

zl53ev.jpg

looking at the holden factory screen the 2 gauge and the 3 gauge look to be the same just with different software flashed to it, I could be wrong.

the gauge has only 3 wires positive(+ve) and negative(-ve) and the swcan wire but the plug on the pcb has 8 pins so its my guess they probably use a serial connection to flash the data via that plug.
it may be possible to download that data and modify it, change the gauges to show different pids from the can etc.
the screen color in my case the red cant be changed unless you can change the backlight if it is colored.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute

I have a 7inch pcduino screen i might see if i can fit it into that spot and run it on android and write an app to give me some gauges from the swcan.

Thanks for the info anyway 

Youd wanna jump on the ECU's normal CAN line.. can either watch for live data broad casts for the data.. or request live data directly from the ecu :beer chug:

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
It's not a good picture, and this one isn't a touch screen. But I bought one that was just a little too tall and attached it to clear perspex and painted the perspex that wasn't where the screen was. No modifying the vents at all. Did have an aim to make my own centre section and make a space for a larger screen and run Torque on it, but I have NFI what I'm doing and it hasn't progressed. Audrino is a great idea.

374389_10151498244924695_1768313177_n.jpg

580570_10151496869294695_772487570_n.jpg

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Oh and yes the 2 and 3 gauge are the same. Like you said, different software. The only way I know of changing it is with an MCU programmer directly to the chip (people that have worked out how to change old 2 gauge to 3). And you can change the backlight, if you like soldering LEDs. 30 of them from my shockingly awful memory.