Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tell Us Your Dodgy Stories or Prices You Been quoted/had to Pay for your vehicle...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thought i start a thread about rip off quotes and/or work that has been done to your vehicle.

Ex Mechanic
Car went in for a failed fuel pump, provided a genuine power steering pump to change at the same time and also provided a newer fuel tank.

Fuel pump in fine, new tank fine, power steering pump - charged me $112 for a new pulley to be installed onto it.

Degreased my engine for no reason and stuffed up a lead in which the mechanics son confirmed that he was zapped by it as well.
Then ran the engine for 2 hours so dry it out as lead was arcing onto exhaust manifold.

Told em to order a new lead, son was there and called dad and installed lead but son said to fix up his dad next time i see him, $45 mechanic wanted from me for one lead in which they ####ed up in the first place.

ALSO told them to put all parts into my car boot, as could have the power steering pump as a backup, or redo seals and resell.
Did he though, NO. prob resold it himself.

Clear written instructions printed off computer. PLACE ALL PARTS BACK INTO BOOT.

Pedders
$2900 quote for a 28 point $14 checkup. LOL i shouldve known

Holden
Heaterbox in car on drivers side damaged and does need replacing.
$900 new heaterbox from Melbourne apparent, 10-12 hrs work at $148 per hour.
rightttttttttt

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
thank christ 2 of my good mates are mechanics and run their own repco service centre with RAA approval and an RAA roadside assistance van.

I had a mechanic about 10yrs ago tell me he had to replace all the injectors on the vl RB30 because 2 seals were leaking,
price $84 each + labour, I told him to hold on, rang around found re-cond injectors for $38 each,
I told him, and he said you can't get re-cond injectors, I told him where, he told me that is his parts supplier and didn't know you can re-con injectors,

total BS, i would have ended up with recond and paid for brand new.

Kcboiye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Wl Statesman
when i had the accident in my other car i went around to get a few qoutes, one place said they wouldnt touch it, but another place said they wanted 7k+ all they had to was replace rear 1/4 panel, new rear door, fix a dent in the front 1/4 panel and resrpay that side

iwent through the quote list and they where quoting things that didnt need replacing, plus they wanted $30 to disconect the battery, 150+ to disconnect electrics and replace part of the interior trim for 700, told em to shove it, so my uncle got the whole thing fixed for 2.5k lol

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Had a vh sle.
Knew there was a few things wrong with it but nothing major.
Had a RWC done, Went to pick it up and there was a quote for $2600.
Took it to a friend of a friend who was a mechanic, He had a laugh at the list and said not to worry.
Ended up costing $500 + 2 cartons of xxxx, And got a RWC on it.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Last week i was quoted $10,000 for a closed door respray...

And a year ago I was quoted $800 to do a front sway bar link kit in an AU fairmont.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Every mechanic ive had has tried to rip me off. Strangely the only bloke who hasnt is a young guy at lubemobile whos great, so i stick with him haha.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
When i owned my 300zx i took it to one of those places for a safety check, they took the wheels off and did their thing and then informed me the suspension was leaking, got home and tried to take the wheel off to verify this and they had cross-threaded a wheelnut, took the car back and they said they would fix it for $140, told em to eff off and fix the car, came back picked up the car and flipped them the bird when they gave me the bill, grabbed my keys and drove off...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well, got one for the people

That ex-mechanic (does electrical) quoted me $140 to install a headunit and speakers in a Hyundai Accent for my flatmate
Apparently took 2 blokes 5 hrs to do. WTF?? I couldve done it in a couple hours myself. I just didnt have the time.

Ended up only costing $140 (Cronulla Car Sound quoted $200) so basically sucked in to them.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
When i was working at holden a VS ute came in wit ha blown head gasket and they bullshitted the guy that he had a stuffed motor and conned him into paying $3000 for a reco then plus more for installation all because they couldnt be bothered to change a head gasket..

A VT came in (female drive) with a buggered alternator. Reception guy said to her that she needs a new power steering pump because the fluid in the power steering pump put excess pressure on the bearings in the power steering pump and alternator which caused the alternator to fail and power steering pump about to faill.. Poor girl had to pay way more then she did.

Got sick of seeing these **** ####s ripping off inocent people so i just walked out and never returned.. NEVER taking my car to any mechanic even if i dont know what im doing i always try fix it myself..