Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporarily Removing LPG Tank

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey all, got a VT which has an aftermarket Sprintgas mixer system in it. At the moment i am thinking of taking out the tank for a bit, as i get terrible efficiency compared to petrol (around town i get 22L/100km on gas and 12L/100km on petrol) Also i like the power of petrol and would like to have a big boot for a bit.

So i want to take the lpg tank out basically over the summer, and then put it back in, when uni and such starts and i will be driving more next year, Does this sound reasonable to anyone?

What is there in taking the tank out, do i just basically run it empty, disconnect the power from the solenoid, turn the tap off, unbolt it, rip it out and bleed it dry. and leave all the lines there, and when i want it back just basically do the reverse and it all should work well, or am i being a bit positive here.

Any ideas or insight would be great. Cheers

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Why? It's a bit of stuffing around to take it out, just to put it back in again...What's the reason behind taking the tank out? If you want to run it on petrol, just switch it over to petrol, no need to take the tank out.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Are you accredited to remove and refit LPG ?

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Basically, i want the boot space, and i want some weight off the rear. At the moment the springs are sagged and the shocks are stuffed and its sitting at the height of ssl's and i plan to lower it properly soon. But more than anything i want the boot space, and the option to go back on gas if i need it.

wackojacko2036

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec II
hay mate, did you get that lpg removed at a mechanic? how much did it cost?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
You don't need to run it out of gas, just turn the tap all the way off, start the engine and run it until it stalls, then the lines can be disconnected and the tank can be removed. Doesn't matter if it has a full tank of gas. Just don't store it in direct sunlight.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
just basically run it empty, disconnect the power from the solenoid, turn the tap off, unbolt it, rip it out and bleed it dry. and leave all the lines there, and when i want it back just basically do the reverse and it all should work well, or am i being a bit positive here

That's all i did was only 16 never touched a gas tank and it was all fine