Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporary ACC wire from the boot

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hey guys,

Just wondering does anyone know of a way to tap into some form of accessory power source from the boot somewhere to power my amps? I have to send my head unit off to get my iPod integration done and I decided I will plug my iPod directly into my amps until I get my head unit back, but only need to find a way to power my amps. Any ideas?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres no wire in the boot that turns on with accessories AFAIK, you could either tap into the tail light curcuit (so when you turn your parkers / headlights on it turns the amp on) or run a wire from your head unit loom.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Theres no wire in the boot that turns on with accessories AFAIK, you could either tap into the tail light curcuit (so when you turn your parkers / headlights on it turns the amp on) or run a wire from your head unit loom.

Is it possible to just run a wire from my capacitor? I believe the ACC wire also needs to be 12v. Is that true? That way I'll just throw a switch between the amp and the capacitor and manually switch it on and off.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yes, the acc wire needs to be 12v too.

If you want to go to the trouble of wiring up a swtich, why not just do it in between the + and REM terminals of your amp?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Yes, the acc wire needs to be 12v too.

If you want to go to the trouble of wiring up a swtich, why not just do it in between the + and REM terminals of your amp?

Only cause I have 2 amps meaning I'd need 2 switches, may as well just go from the capacitor, not like 16 gauge wire is expensive. Probably have heaps lying around somewhere. But cheers for the info!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Why would you need two switches? Just need to split the amp side of the wiring, or soldier two wires to the amp side of the switch.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Why would you need two switches? Just need to split the amp side of the wiring, or soldier two wires to the amp side of the switch.

Then i'd need to run another wire to the other amp from the switch anyway.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
True but at least you wouldn't need a second switch. If you soldiering the wires onto the switch there no real extra effort putting two wires on at the same time.

It really doesn't matter if you use the cap or the amp power cable. I personally would use the amp power cable because I would be paranoid about the cap drawing big power quickly when recharging, and doing it constantly and very fast. Even though I know it shouldn't matter, I'm just strange like that.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
True but at least you wouldn't need a second switch. If you soldiering the wires onto the switch there no real extra effort putting two wires on at the same time.

It really doesn't matter if you use the cap or the amp power cable. I personally would use the amp power cable because I would be paranoid about the cap drawing big power quickly when recharging, and doing it constantly and very fast. Even though I know it shouldn't matter, I'm just strange like that.

Actually yea you do make a valid point. Cheers for that!

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Do what i do. While ur headunit is away for repair or whatever, at the front of your car where your headunit sits, join your remote amp + 12v accessory wires together. Not that hard.