Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the 4.9 second challenge

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just to give you all some perspective. I was reading an interview with Wally Story who was chief mechanic with HRT when they won Bathurst in the VL Group A. That car was 1350kgs race weight.

Reaper

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just to give you all some perspective. I was reading an interview with Wally Story who was chief mechanic with HRT when they won Bathurst in the VL Group A. That car was 1350kgs race weight.

Reaper

thats the same as the V8 supercar catagory minimum weight. was probably a little heavier with a full tank of gas. also, thats with a full race cage and safety equipment and including the full walkinshaw body kit which weights a bit also. the base car itself (without all the race crap and body kit) woulda been considerably less. really shows how much extra fat a standard road car carries around

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats the same as the V8 supercar catagory minimum weight. was probably a little heavier with a full tank of gas. also, thats with a full race cage and safety equipment and including the full walkinshaw body kit which weights a bit also. the base car itself (without all the race crap and body kit) woulda been considerably less. really shows how much extra fat a standard road car carries around

The min weight for the VL under Group A was 1325 kgs and they couldn't achieve it. The cage was a combination of 2"x16# (Could have been 1 7/8" if Larry Perkins built the shell) and 1.75"x16# ChroMo tube which weights about the same as the equivalent exhaust tube. The cages in those cars are very sparse when compared to todays cars.

Body kit was made from Kevlar - much stronger and lighter than the fiberglass crap that most of the road cars have. Overall, add those two, but delete the interior, ventilation system, all un-necessary brackets and fittings, you will find they are still well under the actual kerb weight of even your most povo pack road car.

Reaper

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The min weight for the VL under Group A was 1325 kgs and they couldn't achieve it. The cage was a combination of 2"x16# (Could have been 1 7/8" if Larry Perkins built the shell) and 1.75"x16# ChroMo tube which weights about the same as the equivalent exhaust tube. The cages in those cars are very sparse when compared to todays cars.

Body kit was made from Kevlar - much stronger and lighter than the fiberglass crap that most of the road cars have. Overall, add those two, but delete the interior, ventilation system, all un-necessary brackets and fittings, you will find they are still well under the actual kerb weight of even your most povo pack road car.

Reaper

exactly. lot of extra fat on a standard road car. i did read a article that said what they gained in aerodynamic efficiency from the body kit they pretty much lost due to the extra weight gained from the body kit. it is one of the more complex kits around for sure, you either love it or loathe it. not a big fan personally

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
exactly. lot of extra fat on a standard road car. i did read a article that said what they gained in aerodynamic efficiency from the body kit they pretty much lost due to the extra weight gained from the body kit. it is one of the more complex kits around for sure, you either love it or loathe it. not a big fan personally

Yeah - I put that in to give some perspective. I think some of the weights of cars quoted further up the thread are somewhat ambitious nomatter what the rego sticker says. The VN is more or less a VL with a blown up body stuck on top and would be very surprised to find a povo VN to be significantly lighter than the same VL when weighed side by side.

Reaper

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
exactly, that probably true for all commodores to VS, it's all the same basic floorpan/chassis as used from the original VB commodore.

i run a VN exec. with the V6 and T5 trans it would be about the lowest weight possible for a standard road car is at came from the factory for the 2nd generation commodores. the only mod con is electric side mirrors, otherwise power nothing, no aircon etc. i use 1500kg as the weight for the Gtech to allow for a full tank of fuel and driver weight(118kg) plus towbar and small toolbox. i think at some stage i'll need to go at put it on a weight bridge to see what the actual weight is.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
lol, I have found the perfect hill to prevent loss of traction. Sad when you have to go up hill to get a non slipping time :(

Isnt the point of g-techs to use them on straight flat roads? Dont hills/slopes/cambers put the readings out?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Isnt the point of g-techs to use them on straight flat roads? Dont hills/slopes/cambers put the readings out?

depends on what model hes using maybe? i dunno how the new ones work

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

yep, new ones are the same.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Also, you know how its got the HP readings, does that read it at the flywheel or rear wheels?
And is it any where near accurate?
Plan to give it a go tonight