Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Big Espresso Coffee Machine Thread

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I have a Breville BES870 (how’s that for me remembering useless model number?) and I occasionally get a compliment on the coffee that I make. One of those people saying is was ‘great coffee’ worked in the kitchen at Donovans in Melbourne! The most recent was at Christmas when one of the guest said it was the best coffee that they ever had.

To me, the secret is in the (a) beans and (b) how they are ground. I use a red and green ‘bourbon’ blend (search Coffee Snobs). With the BES870 (as @Immortality has) the trick is to adjust the grind until the pressure start off in the ‘pre infusion’ area and then goes up to the ‘espresso’ area (you will hear the pressure pump step up the pressure) on the pressure gauge, coarser grinds drop the pressure, finer grinds increase the pressure.

Enjoy! You have a good machine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have a Breville BES870 (how’s that for me remembering useless model number?) and I occasionally get a compliment on the coffee that I make. One of those people saying is was ‘great coffee’ worked in the kitchen at Donovans in Melbourne! The most recent was at Christmas when one of the guest said it was the best coffee that they ever had.

To me, the secret is in the (a) beans and (b) how they are ground. I use a red and green ‘bourbon’ blend (search Coffee Snobs). With the BES870 (as @Immortality has) the trick is to adjust the grind until the pressure start off in the ‘pre infusion’ area and then goes up to the ‘espresso’ area (you will hear the pressure pump step up the pressure) on the pressure gauge, coarser grinds drop the pressure, finer grinds increase the pressure.

Enjoy! You have a good machine.

We must be doing something right :)

That is what the machine does, starts off low and then pressure builds which is what Mr24 was trying to achieve when adjusting the grind. The first test the pressure never rose to the 'espresso' zone when using the grinder on setting 5 (recommended start point in the manual). We are now on setting 3 and the pressure gauge goes right to the middle of the 'espresso' zone.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
We must be doing something right :)

That is what the machine does, starts off low and then pressure builds which is what Mr24 was trying to achieve when adjusting the grind. The first test the pressure never rose to the 'espresso' zone when using the grinder on setting 5 (recommended start point in the manual). We are now on setting 3 and the pressure gauge goes right to the middle of the 'espresso' zone.

Each type of bean is different. It’s just a matter of getting it right for the beans that you are using. Just adjust the ‘grind‘ until the pressures land about right. If you still don’t like the coffee, then change the beans and redo the grind/pressure bit.

I was very fortunate as the coffee shop near us sold beans. They asked what style of coffee I liked (latte) and recommended a bean (a green and red bourbon blend). Unfortunately, the shop has now closed, so I had to go to ‘coffee snobs’ to get a similar blend.

But coffee is like wine… whatever you enjoy is the ‘right’ one. Don’t let anyone else tell you what you should like or enjoy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This is what Mr24 bought.
iu
I think we have the same one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Each type of bean is different. It’s just a matter of getting it right for the beans that you are using. Just adjust the ‘grind‘ until the pressures land about right. If you still don’t like the coffee, then change the beans and redo the grind/pressure bit.

I was very fortunate as the coffee shop near us sold beans. They asked what style of coffee I liked (latte) and recommended a bean (a green and red bourbon blend). Unfortunately, the shop has now closed, so I had to go to ‘coffee snobs’ to get a similar blend.

But coffee is like wine… whatever you enjoy is the ‘right’ one. Don’t let anyone else tell you what you should like or enjoy.

Yeah, we had a great coffee at a local restaurant so we asked what beans they used and that is what we have here. We also have some others to try.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah, we had a great coffee at a local restaurant so we asked what beans they used and that is what we have here. We also have some others to try.
They are a good value long lasting machine. Try to stick with 1 bag of beans until it's finished while the machine is dialled in on those beans. Otherwise you'll need to keep making adjustments and end up drinking several bad shots getting the grind right for each different bag.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I have a Sunbeam Mini Barista. No pressure gauge, but I've been using coffee machines for many years now, so know how things should be.
Make sure your machine is kept clean, especially the seal where the group head fits to. This seal becomes hard over time to the point it can leak. Just like a gasket.

Make sure you put the machine through the cleaning process as recommended.
Purge your steam wand before and after heating/frothing the milk.

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
I've got a Rancilio Silva i picked up second hand cheap. Not sure it's all running as it should be. Usually blasts out, giving me way too quick a shot. Steamer also seems too strong.

I've adjusted grind but it seems like I have to go finer than I should be (setting ~5/20 on a Sunbeam, EM0480). Maybe the grinder burrs are worn though. Any good recommendations for machine servicing in inner melb?

Anyone use aldi beans? I do as they're too cheap too ignore and seem OK (compared to the crap from coles my office uses), and I feel my coffee is more limited by my barista abilities than the roasters.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I've got a Rancilio Silva i picked up second hand cheap. Not sure it's all running as it should be. Usually blasts out, giving me way too quick a shot. Steamer also seems too strong.

I've adjusted grind but it seems like I have to go finer than I should be (setting ~5/20 on a Sunbeam, EM0480). Maybe the grinder burrs are worn though. Any good recommendations for machine servicing in inner melb?

Anyone use aldi beans? I do as they're too cheap too ignore and seem OK (compared to the crap from coles my office uses), and I feel my coffee is more limited by my barista abilities than the roasters.
Usually, people sell their coffee machines when they recognize they are beginning to falter. Unless of course, they are an unwanted gift.

I would do some research on the Rancilio Silva you have, and have a look at its common faults, (they all have them) before spending a heap of money to fix it with a usual three-month warranty, only then to have something else go wrong with it.

Regarding your ‘too-quick shots’ I would go and see a good sex therapist, as apparently they do have some specific methods for keeping ‘those beans’ in the sack a little longer.

Aldi…….Good, different!:)