Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The complete Vn-Vr Manual Conversion Guide.

thesakeofit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
i have some wires that go though a gromt to the manual box do i just cut them up near the plug and then join then to the same wires in the auto

deanos70

Reaction score
first off great write up

got a question about the clutch cable for the t5 box

do i need to put a hole through the firewall for the clutch cable to run through or is there a plug already there i can just remove

looking at doing it to a 94 vr exec wagon

is the vr v6 motor internally balanced ? no one has got vibration issues bolting the 8 bolt flywheel from a vr up to the back of the auto motor

theres no dowel pin holes for the flywheel either ?

does the standard auto exhaust manifolds and exhaust all fit with the manual conversion

thanks

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
first off great write up

got a question about the clutch cable for the t5 box

do i need to put a hole through the firewall for the clutch cable to run through or is there a plug already there i can just remove
The plug is already there just need to remove it most people run their amp wiring through it
looking at doing it to a 94 vr exec wagon

is the vr v6 motor internally balanced ? no one has got vibration issues bolting the 8 bolt flywheel from a vr up to the back of the auto motor
All v6 are externally balanced 8 bolt flywheel were made for VR so there should be no issue if there is a vibration look elsewhere i.e. clutch input shaft gearbox mount tailshaft
No holes in flywheel dowels are not needed whoever beleives they are don't know what their on about
does the standard auto exhaust manifolds and exhaust all fit with the manual conversion
Yes they do
thanks

deanos70

Reaction score
Hi Pub247

Mate thanks very much forthe info it was very helpful

great stuff

cheers

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V

thanks

My VN already had a hole. You can poke it out when the auto pedal box is out. Think theres a rubber grommet too.

VR V6 (Buick) is externally balanced. Any VNS2-VR 8 bolt will work.

Buicks dont have the dowel holes. Torque the bolts up to specs and you wont have a problem.

My auto engine pipe (Y-pipe) fitted without a problem. If it touches the bellhousing get the manual pipe or aftermarket headers :)

EDIT: beaten to it!

Bearman-VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR II Berlina Wagon
hey mate.

from my experience you will not be happy with an auto computer even with a tuned memcal.. the idle is still weird etc.

it may be a little bit more outlay but i highly recommend you get a manual ecu and loom. will save you many hassles down the track and you will know it has all been done properly. ie no dodgy work.

Hey mate, I've got a 1995 Series II VR Berlina Wagon, and would love to convert it to manual, just for something different.

I've read elsewhere in this thread that with the L3 cluster, you were getting high rev's at idle sometimes. Did you ever get a fix with it?

Also, at one point I understand that you can use an automatic memcal thats had a new tune put through it, but then you say that its not as good.

What are the downsides to running the re-burnt auto memcal and ecu over the manual setup?

Love the right up by the way. Well done to you guys for taking the time and effort to build it all up. Its a great database for the rest of us sitting here scratching our heads hahaa

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
i heard theres a difference in weights with the 8 bolt flywheels from VN VP VR to VS ones ? i was just going to chuck a vp lightened 8 bolt flywheel onto my ecotec for my conversion but appparently there different ? or will everything be fine ? cheers

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
Yeah mate there is a difference between them. If you use a Buick flywheel on your ecotec you will get vibrations. So you'll have to find an ecotec t5 flywheel.

deanos70

Reaction score
im not sure which motor either buick or ecotec
but i believe one is internally balanced and the other is balanced externally
so you will probably get all sorts of vibrations