Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The deadly rattle!

weirdone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE
Hey guys me again! Yay! Haha okay serious note! I have this annoying rattle in the front and rear of my car (ve 07 sedan) bare with me while I try to explain this lmao… so it sounds an empty trailer going over pumps with empty tin cans bouncing around! Sorry the best I can do to explain that! Also when I brake there’s a few clunk noises happening like something is smacking into the car as I’ve started to slow down! It used to only rattle sometimes but now it’s constantly and even on flat road there’s rattle… I’m so sorry if me explaining this was terrible but yes I have a bad front and rear rattle!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Double check shock absorber mounting bolts/nuts.
I don't really know VE's too well, but that would be my first look for a sound as you described.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have someone inspect your strut top bushes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd suggest the whole suspension system needs looking over, there are probably multiple issues.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Take some wheels off for a proper look.
Ok?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My Car will do a safety inspection for about $75. I normally do this on new cars I buy. I also plan to have another done in a few weeks as it due for a service. I'll be changing the oil to save money but My Car will do all the inspection and give me a report.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Make sure the wheels are balanced and check the spare is screwed down in the boot and not bouncing around in the back.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Seriously, given what you’ve described and the fact it appears to be getting worse, I would be seeking some professional advice ASAP. I understand it might be a cost factor for you but the reality is, nobody’s advice on here is necessarily going to help address your problems immediately.
If you take your car to a mechanic and just ask for their initial advice, and then perhaps based on his report of what may be wrong, you can then at least get a better idea from the guys on here as to which way you can best go, so as to have the problems with your car resolved.

There are many things that may or may not be wrong with your car, but when you are experiencing rattles, clunking when braking etc, it could be anything from faulty suspension, brakes, steering or badly worn engine mounts.