Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Debadging HYPER GLOBAL MEGA THREAD

Should you debadge your car ?

• NO ! leave it stock !

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Yes ! But leave the Lion alone !

Votes: 61 67.0%
  • Yes ! Get rid of all the badges !

Votes: 19 20.9%

• Total voters

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Mines definately been resprayed before, cause you can see where it has been masked off. I'm still rubbing back with autosol for a few hours each day. I've only gotten one door completely cleaned. Only got three more to go, and the other fender .. woo hoo .. getting there really slowly :) I'm nearly to the point where i just wanna respray all the doors. This stuff shits you to tears

Sasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive
It aint Sikaflex and it aint been pulled off and been put back on dude.......That black rubber like glue is on there from factory and sure, u can try using chemicals but what chemicals have u ever used that dissolve rubber? And razor blades, lol, i had no choice but to use a scraper blade..BUT..I had all intentions of painting the doors afterwards. It just has to be done , theres no way of getting it all off without scraping, sanding and respraying... Oh and my last 3 commodores have been the same :(

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Sasha said:
It aint Sikaflex and it aint been pulled off and been put back on dude.......That black rubber like glue is on there from factory and sure, u can try using chemicals but what chemicals have u ever used that dissolve rubber? And razor blades, lol, i had no choice but to use a scraper blade..BUT..I had all intentions of painting the doors afterwards. It just has to be done , theres no way of getting it all off without scraping, sanding and respraying... Oh and my last 3 commodores have been the same :(
really?!...ok.
what the hell would i know anyway.
there's absolutely no other way huh? so all those times ive seen/helped take the sikaflex off with a pin stripe remover i musta been dreamin then....

MR VR CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS SUPERCHARGED
hey razor blades are to risky i have a dark red vr calais when i replace my strip on the outside i used a little bit of petrol on a rag which taken it straight off

96ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs ss
sorry to say but urethane IS used from the factory if you look in the vs model factory service manual it explains to *quote from vs svce manual vol 1 figure=1a10-29 exterior ornamentation*apply3.0 dia of hn1890 or urethane over entire inside length of all mouldings.my ss has had the red moulds removed and left this crap behindall down the sides i tired using a rubber pin strip removal wheel but its pretty tricky as the paint can get damaged easy!so gave up gonna put the moulds back on

redcedar

workaholic
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alto Grey MY12 SS
try a hair dryer and gently heat to soften the rubbish

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
buy/rent a caramel wheel. it's a brown wheel (duh!) goes into your drill, and slowly and carefully rub away the glue, and don't let it heat up too much. only places I know have them are some boat rebuilders, and the occasional body shop. can't find where to buy from, but I live in a pretty small town.
I got sick of haing the black stripe of sikaflex there, so i just hit it with a wire wheel, but my paint was stuffed anyway so I didn't care

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
96ss said:
sorry to say but urethane IS used from the factory if you look in the vs model factory service manual it explains to *quote from vs svce manual vol 1 figure=1a10-29 exterior ornamentation*apply3.0 dia of hn1890 or urethane over entire inside length of all mouldings.my ss has had the red moulds removed and left this crap behindall down the sides i tired using a rubber pin strip removal wheel but its pretty tricky as the paint can get damaged easy!so gave up gonna put the moulds back on

thank you!...damn i thought i was goin crazy here man.
thats what ive been sayin all along, but no one believed me.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
DSTRBD said:
buy/rent a caramel wheel. it's a brown wheel (duh!) goes into your drill, and slowly and carefully rub away the glue, and don't let it heat up too much. only places I know have them are some boat rebuilders, and the occasional body shop. can't find where to buy from, but I live in a pretty small town.
I got sick of haing the black stripe of sikaflex there, so i just hit it with a wire wheel, but my paint was stuffed anyway so I didn't care

this "caramel wheel" sounds very similar to a pin stripe remover...

G

GMH 72

Those tan rubber wheels are excellent for pinstripe removal for 2 Pack duco only do not use on acrylic duco as it's too soft and will burn through guarenteed.
It would definately be worth giving the rubber wheel a shot and see what happens with the urethane.
I reckon the way to go is to rip off your old moulds & get yourself a set of VR/S Stateman moulds have them color coded & refit. They look real classy and fill up that ugly ditch in the centre of the panels where the old moulds used to be, they will also cover up any scratches etc. I have a full set that i got from a wreck & i have lined them up against my VR panels with a perfect fit. I think that some HSV's and Calais might have these moulds as well [dunno]. Statesmans have a dog leg mould which you won't need if you go ahead with it.