Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

///The Euro I4 Project

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
lol... I can feel you're pain with the CBF-ness, mine, not cause of work though, just cause im a lazy ass!, (and the weather!)

I swear that pic of the rods wasn't there earlier... lol, that or it wasn't loaded, looks the goods but,
And yeah, now that you mention it I remember the block all blacked out. Nice, :p

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
laid some more sheets of glass down today. its feeling pretty solid now, so tomorrow ill start filling holes in the front. ill grab another sheet of fibreglass from work, coz i still want to strengthen the back some more, but its strong enough to pickup with one hand and not fall into pieces.

Imgp0495.jpg

also put a piece of steel between the sheets on the bottom, been told itll help keep it stronger, see how it goes i spose.

Imgp0490.jpg

gotta join the piece between the vents too, and do the left mount tab.

and i smoothed all the injector bungs in the manifold, looks better now. but overall plan is to build a manifold from scratch, which i'll put on when the brakes go on, so i dont have to tap vacuum ports into it. will look neater, have less bolts and gaskets, and the outer runners wont be on such an extreme angle

Imgp0492.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i really hate to be "that guy" but those joins dont really look that strong :( i tought you'd you packing it all in there?... i like the steel plate bit, but are you gonna reo around the vent holes? where you can see the lighter coloured 'stretch marks'

your front bar (i know you know, but just bringing it up) is under a lot of force from the wind. itll want to be toughened up or itll just re-crack again. which would suck if you painted it.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Agree with Ari, you want the repair layer to be about the same thickness as the bar itself for optimum strength, then you can just use bog on the front to make it flush. The reinforcing plate is a good move though.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
As long as the bar is supported each side it will be fine. Just fill the join with chopped strand and feather it into the parent material. I've seen plenty of boats that have been trashed and repaired in a similar way just fine.

Reaper

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i really hate to be "that guy" but those joins dont really look that strong :( i tought you'd you packing it all in there?... i like the steel plate bit, but are you gonna reo around the vent holes? where you can see the lighter coloured 'stretch marks'

your front bar (i know you know, but just bringing it up) is under a lot of force from the wind. itll want to be toughened up or itll just re-crack again. which would suck if you painted it.

Agree with Ari, you want the repair layer to be about the same thickness as the bar itself for optimum strength, then you can just use bog on the front to make it flush. The reinforcing plate is a good move though.

laid some more sheets of glass down today. its feeling pretty solid now, so tomorrow ill start filling holes in the front. ill grab another sheet of fibreglass from work, coz i still want to strengthen the back some more, but its strong enough to pickup with one hand and not fall into pieces.

the back isnt finished, i need more fibreglass sheet, but i dont want to put so much glass on it that it becomes the same weight as stock, or that would totally negate the purchase in the first place.

if it cracks again due to my shoddy work, ill strengthen it more.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
and.... got bored and smoothed the inlets on the manifold, been meaning to do it for ages, just keep forgetting.

Imgp0496.jpg

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
started doing the front bits of the bumper today, ground the cracks back, and started laying fibreglass in the middle, ill build up with as much fibreglassas i can, then sand back and smooth it with bog.

Imgp0497.jpg

and a random pic i took of the bmw grazing, i really like this pic for some reason, soooo gotta get the front painted though

Imgp0502.jpg