Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Face and Floor Air flow buttons are now reversed

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Spent almost an hour searching posts to see if this problem has come up but nothing exactly like this. Although VR VS forum guys' have similar vacuum related issues. Just bought the VE SSV about 6-7 weeks ago and still learning about it (last car for 21 years was a VK!!). I just had ABS Auto here in Perth do some work on it which included replacing a driver side blend actuator motor. Now it's got this issue of when I press the Face Air button (Triangle symbol facing up) the air goes to the floor (along with the picture on the screen showing floor air) and vice Versa - pressing floor button changes to giving the Face level air. It does this on manual or AC, in SZ and DZ.

It seems electrically related, as if the plugs have been reversed, but could it be that simple? I rang ABS but I didn't know the car well enough to say for sure if it was like that before I gave it to them, so I couldn't blame them outright. The guy was clueless about what could be the problem. The buttons are low on the console, in front of the shifter, whereas the work they did was more under the steering wheel panels I think.

I just went out and did the actuator motor / blend door recal procedure (pressing rear demist with ign on). All the cycles went through as normal but the problem is still there.

Just asking if anyone has encountered this problem? Is it a known issue and where would I start to look if I wanted to try and fix it? It's no huge problem, all works ok, just in reverse, but would be good to get it sorted.

When I went to AMCAP, the parts fellow there showed me the schematic of the heater box actuator motors. Apparently there's six of them on the DZ, all pretty much the same but doing different things. I'm wondering if one of these controls the flap door between Face and Floor outlets. I'm sure it would.

Thanks

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did you check out Fu Manchu's post on HVAC operation?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Spent almost an hour searching posts to see if this problem has come up but nothing exactly like this. Although VR VS forum guys' have similar vacuum related issues. Just bought the VE SSV about 6-7 weeks ago and still learning about it (last car for 21 years was a VK!!). I just had ABS Auto here in Perth do some work on it which included replacing a driver side blend actuator motor. Now it's got this issue of when I press the Face Air button (Triangle symbol facing up) the air goes to the floor (along with the picture on the screen showing floor air) and vice Versa - pressing floor button changes to giving the Face level air. It does this on manual or AC, in SZ and DZ.

It seems electrically related, as if the plugs have been reversed, but could it be that simple? I rang ABS but I didn't know the car well enough to say for sure if it was like that before I gave it to them, so I couldn't blame them outright. The guy was clueless about what could be the problem. The buttons are low on the console, in front of the shifter, whereas the work they did was more under the steering wheel panels I think.

I just went out and did the actuator motor / blend door recal procedure (pressing rear demist with ign on). All the cycles went through as normal but the problem is still there.

Just asking if anyone has encountered this problem? Is it a known issue and where would I start to look if I wanted to try and fix it? It's no huge problem, all works ok, just in reverse, but would be good to get it sorted.

When I went to AMCAP, the parts fellow there showed me the schematic of the heater box actuator motors. Apparently there's six of them on the DZ, all pretty much the same but doing different things. I'm wondering if one of these controls the flap door between Face and Floor outlets. I'm sure it would.

Thanks
Keep pressing the triangle buttons up and down to step through all of the functions.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Keep pressing the triangle buttons up and down to step through all of the functions.
Ta for that mate! - didn't make sense but I dug out the manual and those two buttons are Mode Buttons, not selectors like the pictures on them would suggest. Went out to the car and sussed it out - so it's a bit confusing until you see what they do, which is essentially the same thing. You really only need one button to scroll through the four modes. If the top button has an Up arrow and a diagram showing air going to the face and the lower button with down arrow and air flow to the floor, naturally one would assume that's what the buttons do.

The Pollution Mode is a good feature, and you wouldn't know that existed either unless you read the manual. It's a relief anyway knowing it's working normally - thanks.

Reactions: Lex

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you check out Fu Manchu's post on HVAC operation?
Yes I have now - what a fantastic set of info. Although couldn't see anything on the actual operation of the unit, just a full description of design and layout. Might've missed it though. The YT videos there are also really great.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ta for that mate! - didn't make sense but I dug out the manual and those two buttons are Mode Buttons, not selectors like the pictures on them would suggest. Went out to the car and sussed it out - so it's a bit confusing until you see what they do, which is essentially the same thing. You really only need one button to scroll through the four modes. If the top button has an Up arrow and a diagram showing air going to the face and the lower button with down arrow and air flow to the floor, naturally one would assume that's what the buttons do.

The Pollution Mode is a good feature, and you wouldn't know that existed either unless you read the manual. It's a relief anyway knowing it's working normally - thanks.
Yeah, its not really logical, and a pain in the arse when you swap between VE and VF quite often. Especially window switches and the finger brake on the VF...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride