Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I see a few of the Mopar version of the Chev pickup truck on the streets. But looking at the tray i could be wrong but it doesn't look like its 6' long more like 5'.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Personally, I don't understand the trend to four door utes.
Mark me as guilty. I have a SUV and a dual cab. Each has its uses.
The Terri, which is not as big now as it was when new (every other SUV is now BIG) is a daily.
The Crewy is for exploring the big, dry land, and only carries two people, soft luggage and personals in the back seat, everything else goes in the tray under a hard lid. Apart from another spare wheel and water containers, my missus can fill it to capacity.

What I don’t get, is the number of diesel 4WDs with big wheels, used as everyday conveyances and never seem to get dirty.
I know that everybody with one intends to hitch the caravan and do big lap of the block, Wunday. That never seems to happen, the diesel chugs to the shopping centre and school, and the caravan becomes an expensive front garden ornament.

You just cant park it anywhere
Anyone want my views on the ever increasing number of motor-homes ?

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
The twin cabs actually make a bit of sense out here in the Town and Country. A lot of people live out of town on a small holding or farm, on a dirt road, with kids. There's no city traffic in town that needs a maneuverable vehicle.
My Commo wagon would do the passenger part better but it's not as good on rugged roads and I can't stand a fridge or rubbish bin in the back.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Hands up! Who wants to be a rear seat passenger, on a long drive in a dual cab pick up truck?
The rear seats are only suitable for little kids, even then it comes close to being child abuse...
That this post is so liked just shows how deluded everyone is here, cherry picking the one style of car you can have problems with. How often do y'all actually do long distance driving anyway? Dual cab isn't much of a problem in the Sydney to Central Coast/Wollongong region. I mean, it is a Commodore fan club forum so it's not like it's unexpected. Point being made on the dual cab is countered by the Falcodore simply not having a dual cab since the VZ. If you choose the Falcodore ute you don't even have the rear seats anyway so I don't really understand this argument.

The twin cabs actually make a bit of sense out here in the Town and Country. A lot of people live out of town on a small holding or farm, on a dirt road, with kids. There's no city traffic in town that needs a maneuverable vehicle.
My Commo wagon would do the passenger part better but it's not as good on rugged roads and I can't stand a fridge or rubbish bin in the back.
Same problem I had living in the country. With the bulkier items I found my missus's i30 could transport them better than my Commodore's ever could.

Disclaimer I should make: I like Commodore's because I like that it can do everything well. I always find a time I need to tow, or carry 5 passengers on a couple of hour long trip, or go fast-ish in a straight line and decent handling for a car of its size. It's a car that just puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it... but that doesn't mean it appeals to the majority of the population.

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
I don't understand how people can't comprehend why dual cabs and SUVs are popular. It's pretty simple once you take out performance (like 99% of drivers on the road).

A sedan does nothing great, only everything well.

If you want fuel economy, and don't carry passengers often, you buy a small car (e.g. i30, with the seats down it has more boot space than my Commodore). Disadvantage being you get half the boot space of a sedan when you have rear passengers.

If you want to carry people, you buy an SUV. They're also quite fuel efficient now with the I4 turbos, despite weighing 4 tons. They are usually comparable to a V6 Commodore, some of them are actually better... and the downside is the fuel economy.

If you need a tray, buy a dual cab. You can still carry 4 passengers with quite a lot of room, fuel economy is about the same as the V6 Commodore's too, if not less such as the Ranger... why is the sedan needed again?

In all three situations you have the boot space, the fuel economy and the passenger carrying capabilities of the sedan... except it's better. Why would you go for the technically inferior car when performance means sfa to you? I say this as someone who has only ever owned Commodore's and Falcon's. The sedan is pointless in an era where engine bays are tiny and engines are very efficient, that's why they're a dying breed.
But there it is. SUV's aren't better at anything except being higher. They are not roomier than a sedan, have less luggage space, if carrying passengers and discount the 'wagon' aspect, and are just higher, bigger in body, and harder to park.
I currently own a sedan, but did own a CX7 for a few years.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
But there it is. SUV's aren't better at anything except being higher. They are not roomier than a sedan, have less luggage space, if carrying passengers and discount the 'wagon' aspect, and are just higher, bigger in body, and harder to park.
I currently own a sedan, but did own a CX7 for a few years.
You're joking right? Compare even a Tiguan (on the smaller size for an SUV) with a Commodore.

https://www.car.info/en-se/volkswagen/tiguan/tiguan-allspace-2019-16822875/specs

https://www.car.info/en-se/holden/commodore/commodore-sedan-30-v6-sidi-10890373/specs

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
Cannot be bothered comparing those 2 web pages - too long for my current attention span :)
But from a passenger room point of view, a tiguan is based on the golf, so inside it is not any bigger.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know the wife's Outlander has plenty of rear leg room. I was surprised how much it had when we bought it. Two adults have plenty of space. Getting a third adult in the rear is harder, simply because it's not as wide as some cars. Boot is large too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Everyone knows the most important part of a dual-cab “ute” is the fact that it’s effing huge so you can block the road & bully your way around, and it’s also effing expensive for such an awful POS so you can prove to your neighbours that you’ve got that much extra moulah you can afford to buy an $80k pile of junk that’s not as good as a $15k Korean A-segment ‘fridge.

You're joking right? Compare even a Tiguan (on the smaller size for an SUV) with a Commodore.
Well, for the rest of us, the fact that driving the Commodore isn’t like punching ourselves continuously & as hard as possible in the testicles is a big positive for the Commodore.
Not to mention that in the real world the Commodore uses less fuel, has way more room, is more comfortable, costs less to run & doesn’t have a DSG innit.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Hands up! Who wants to be a rear seat passenger, on a long drive in a dual cab pick up truck?
The rear seats are only suitable for little kids, even then it comes close to being child abuse...
Yep, comfort for two adults and two amputees if you’re planning on a holiday. I see plenty of these on the Bruce Highway with interstate plates and young families aboard obviously on hols...ok while the kids are small but then what?

Wifey and me been on hols in the Commie ute...chuck everything in and where off, no fuss.
Then we’ve had 4 adults in the Wagon all packed up on a Bris to Sydney holiday...with the added bonus of the LS3.

Would I want to do either of these trips in a dual cab or SUV...only if I had no other option..I’m grateful I do!