Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] The LOLRSVPBBQ how to fit a minispool into VN-VS live axle super happy thread.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Nice write up, you gone to alot of trouble there, well done

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Nice right up dude!!!!! Doesnt look as hard as i have thought, i have gone as far as taking the crownwheel and pinion gears out of a diff, which is like 3/4 of the way there.
Havnt done it on IRS though, most of it would be the same though, cept obviously the axles, but the ends of the IRS diff that the drive shafts bolt onto... any idea how different they would be to get out to be able to get the centre out?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
nice write-up mate. was going to do one when my LSD gives out but you saved me some work:thumbsup:

one thing, it may be easier for people to "crack" the crown wheel bolts (if they don't have a rattle gun) whilst the center is still in the car, that way someone can stop the center from turning by applying the brakes (obviously before removing axles) and you can swing on those bolts.

i also squirt some CRC5.56/WD40 on the 4 studs that hold the axles in, then the steel type locknuts come off easier.

IRS centers don't use shims to set the center position, they use threaded adjustments. probably easiest to only undo one side so when you tighten the other side when you re-fit it's in exactly the same spot. failing that, use a marker pen of some sort to mark the exact positions of the adjustments and then unwind X number of turns, when re-fitting tighten X number of turns again and line up your marks to have center back in original position

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
wicked, nice write up, since ur pretty handy with diffs, mayb a writeup on diff gear installation:)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
wicked, nice write up, since ur pretty handy with diffs, mayb a writeup on diff gear installation:)

diff gears arent too hard. its just getting them lined up where the issue is, but it is doable at home if you can still see the yellow paint markers on the diff gear parts

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Brilliant write-up, wish I knew this was here when I stumbled through my install.

NOW. I have silly low springs in the back and axle tramp quite badly. Anything I can do to minimize that?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
ok cheers for that

edit: does it really need to be nolathane? how much longer will nolathane or similar last? They are many times the price of standard replacement new ones.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ok cheers for that

edit: does it really need to be nolathane? how much longer will nolathane or similar last? They are many times the price of standard replacement new ones.
nah just the bushes that you press in are about $60