Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The next step... ENGINE MODIFICATION!!!!

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hrmmm well a LS1 would be nice but to be honost, im not looking for a 10 second car, im looking for a cruizer with a bit of power where its needed, that ATLEAST runs 13s, turbo would be nice because unless your really foot to the floor it dosnt spool up, and also with a boost controller could run 3 pound for daily driving then when i want to give it a bit of a flogging boost it,

however a turbo setup wont come easily, so for now i think i might settle for a SC14 setup, like lukes, that will give me a bit more power,

vn6pwr your better off going down to a self serve wreckers, buying a engine for $50 putting it on a engine stand and working on that, much much much cheaper

BB turbo = ball bearing turbo???
im not %100 on what parts ill use as of yet,

im just sick of it being soo slow

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
SlickHolden said:
What's wrong with Supercharging? 230kw + from a good set-up.
Grab a change over engine herd they are very cheap. Ad ComeRacing Cam Pistons have the heads done. Ad Supercharger headers exhaust might come under $6000-$7000??.
230kw from a SC14................
Just put a 5.0lt in. Mine made 143.5rwkw with minimal mods and needing a service. They can be had cheap and dont need to change alot to fit it in.
AirStrike :air:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah i was thinking more of the 5.0L engines rather than the 5.7's
how much did you pay for your engine airstrike?

and what do they usually go for?

what did you need to change?
will the v8 bolt up to the Turbo 700??

i assume ill need to change these things
kframe (or is there a adaption for the engine mounts)
wiring loom
fuel pump (later on)
radiator fan (to a slimline one)
upgrade brakes? thinking of slotted rotors

still investigating at the moment

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You have to set a goal of how fast you want the car to go and how legal you want it to be. Lets start with 13's

You can run a high 13 with a fully worked over NA V6 (somewhat epa happy). You will run low to mid 13's or maybe faster with the SC14 and a intercooler(epa unhappy). You can run mid 13's with a well setup 304 with a cam and exhaust(epa happy kinda (they wont know). You can run 13's with a very mild RB30ET (epa happy)

12's You can run 12's with a 304 with more compression and maybe a new manifold (almost epa happy). You can run 12's with a very good SC14 setup on the V6 (epa unhappy). You can run 12's easily with a turbo on the V6 (epa unhappy). You can run 12's with a stock LS1 (100% legal with cheap engineers certificate (epa very happy). You can run 12's with a RB30ET (epa kinda happy).

11's. You can Run 11's with a tuned and exhausted ls1 in a VN(epa wont know). You can run 11's with a worked 355 Holden stroker (bit lumpy for total epa happyness maybe:p ). You can run 11's with a good turbo setup on the V6(epa unhappy), you can run 11's with a RB30ET (epa probably unhappy)

That's about it for choices, you should be able to do any of those setups for about 10 grand if you do it all yourself. The 13 second 304 and SC 14 V6 would be the cheapest options (about 2-3 grand for either). You can make all of those engines 100% epa happy with the 3 grand? emissions test.

There's another option by the way. You can buy a manual LS1 exeutive for not much over 10 grand now, you can buy a 12 second VL turbo for about the same price. And you most certainly can buy a very fast 5 liter or stroker Holden V8 VN/P for 10 grand

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
PaRaDoX616 said:
im not looking for a 10 second car, im looking for a cruizer with a bit of power where its needed, that ATLEAST runs 13s, turbo would be nice because unless your really foot to the floor it dosnt spool up, and also with a boost controller could run 3 pound for daily driving then when i want to give it a bit of a flogging boost it,

READ next time reaper!

wow thanks for the insight foam!!! made things ALOT CLEARER, ok what do you mean by epa unhappy? like they wont like it but they'll let it slip

ok down to 3 idea's really

304 is the 5.0L yeah?

so
1) 304 with a bit of work
2) v6 turbo intercooled
3) sc14 intercooled

what kinda fuel usage am i looking at for each setup? and what would be best for daily driving/cruizing with a bit of kick when i need it?

i suppose the turbo can be boosted when ever, the sc14 can be turned off (quite a restirction sucking air through the turbine when its off)

or the 304 would be a fuel guzzler always?

mmmmm

the main thing is wanna get start on this start of next year, now the 304 would take a while to impliment, where as the sc14 would be the easiest and the turbo in the middle....

im kinda leaning towards the sc14 setup as its only 5 cubic inches smaller than the m90 and dosnt require a adaptor plate and vp_lukes setup looks promising!!!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The K frame needs to be modified for the LS1, but there are kits to do it

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
PaRaDoX616 said:
BB turbo = ball bearing turbo???
im not %100 on what parts ill use as of yet
yeah that is right

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
i might be abil to get you a turbo set up of a vp v6 its missing the turbo but comes with intercooler exaust & manifolds and all pipes the bloke had his pod hanging out the bottom and went threw a puddle blew the engine and seized the turbo.
i think he was runing about 7-10 pounds of boost
ill see if he still has it