Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
person who wrote into the newspaper says that ABS cars stop better/shorter distance then non ABS cars.
just proves that our drivers training is pathetic as it is certainly not the case.
While this is true, I often face a battle with the Ka. It doesn't have ABS and thus morning as an example the car in front of me slammed on its brakes and stopped far quicker than I could. Every time I hit the brakes in the wet, my wheels just locked up. Eventually I hit the emergency lane and stopped just past them.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Always a good thing when you see an L plater smoking and then going sideways around the corner..

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
While this is true, I often face a battle with the Ka. It doesn't have ABS and thus morning as an example the car in front of me slammed on its brakes and stopped far quicker than I could. Every time I hit the brakes in the wet, my wheels just locked up. Eventually I hit the emergency lane and stopped just past them.

It's more than abs vs non abs.
If two of the same car on the same tyres with the same brakes were to stop, the non abs car will stop quicker in a shorter distance ONLY if you can balance on that fine line just before the wheels lock up.

Near impossible.

It's about tyre condition,
Brake condition,
Driver alertness,
Weight of the vehicle,
Road condition

I could go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yeah. Plenty of variables. But it does just go to show they dont teach how to effectively brake. Especially with tech nowadays, just flat out relying on it is dangerous.
wonder what would happen if their abs failed if they had any clue on what to do...

also tas. How close were you travelling for that to happen :p
or just really bad brakes?

not saying everyone is perfect. Ive had the ute slide out in a bad place under heavy braking for an emergency stop. Even then i doubt abs would have helped. Road was super slippery. Raining. And the rear just unloaded all weight going over a sharp crest. Fronts kept traction not skidding. Rears lost any grip. All below the limit aswell. in a 60 zone with good brakes and tyres.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yeah. Plenty of variables. But it does just go to show they dont teach how to effectively brake. Especially with tech nowadays, just flat out relying on it is dangerous.
wonder what would happen if their abs failed if they had any clue on what to do...

also tas. How close were you travelling for that to happen :p
or just really bad brakes?

hehe I know what you're getting at and I'm always pretty hot on stopping distances after a really close call on my Ps years ago. I think for me a lot of my problem is the weight of the car.... Kerb weight with me is less than 1000KG! In the wet, traction can be a problem on take off. Braking system seems to be in good working order. When we got it 18 months ago, I threw new pads and discs at the front, new shoes and cylinders in the rear and flushed the system completly. (I like to start fresh when it comes to brakes and getting new cars.)

A non-ABS car won't outperform an ABS vehicle no matter how close you to keep it "on the fine line" Technically speaking, ABS doesn't mean **** on either car until you cross the line. So with that being said both cars should stop equally well until you break traction. At which point if you don't start actively breaking the non-ABS vehicle, it will just slide and increase it's stopping distance.

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
People smoking bongs everywhere :(
What happened to all my friends.......
Cant be the only one who thinks its wrong

I had a mate who I knew for 13 years. He started smoking bongs and it became all about the drugs which has ended the friendship.
So no, you're no the only one.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
People smoking bongs everywhere :(
What happened to all my friends.......
Cant be the only one who thinks its wrong

420 BLAZE IT!!!

But seriously yeah lots of people are getting onto it. That and drinking. Sick mate let's go have cones and get piiisssed. No thanks.