Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Yep I wanted the BT otherwise I would have just got the cable. I want to leave the interface as part of the car 24/7. Eventually I'll add an Android stereo with touch screen. End goal to have stuff displayed on it. Transmission temp for starters.
Aldldroid, well so far it's one of the few things I've been able to get working.
Can't get TunerPro to connect for love nor money so far. :(

This is all very new to me. I'm learning as I go and very slowly so far.
.-.-.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Make sure there isn't power to the unit constantly too :p i found out one of my bluetooth adapters just stays running 24/7 while the other ones turn off when the ignition is off haha.

and post photos i wanna see it :)

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Yea, it's powered by the OBD1 connector but also has a separate barrel socket for external power. So I'll add a switch and wire the external power connector to the accessories in the fuse box.
I've done the same already for my BlackVue dash cam using a fuse tap .-.-.

Justin rook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 5.0L
My Holden Research and Development - All the stuff Im working on

Im sure anyone thats followed my threads/work on the web knows I tend to chatter alot! And try to involve the public in testing/trying things out that Im currently working on.

So I figured why not bring that to JustCommodores, so that everyone can see what I fill my days with and the new mods/applications that Im currently developing!

Lets start with the current projects (Off the top of my head!):
-VN/VP Diagnostic cable
-Bluetooth ALDL diagnostic Cable
-Android/Iphone ALDL and OBD2 application
-VT/VX/VY/VZ Body Diagnostics application (Finished.. currently being tested by a couple JC members!)
-VE Body diagnostics application
-VT-VZ ECU Immobilizer resetting (Allows relinking to BCM/PIM)
-Over the web reprogramming
-Remote Module Flashing
-Custom VT-VE LCD Pod gauges (Plug-n-play)
-Custom All-in-one Diagnostic cable that supports ALL Holdens languages + wideband input + more
-VE Cluster custom startup text
-VE headunits custom startup logos/text
-VF Tyre pressure monitoring system enabling
-VF Steering wheel paddle shifting
-VF Diagnostics application (Collecting parts and basic beginnings!)
-VF Mylink VIM/General reverse engineering
-VF Mylink App development (Official app with GM when/if accepted)

Annnnd, thats just off the top of my head currently!
So why do I have so many? Generally as I progress one project (even if not related) it can actually help progress in other fields which include deciphering algorithms or implementing new routines. Or when I become stumped, I move onto the next idea/work and eventually will overcome the original issue of the previous project from progress made on the new project.

As I start tinkering with things, Ill post updates here with what Im doing and if there will be any lucky (Or brave?) individuals that want to try out the latest inventions.

Im all for requests or ideas as well!. Can never have enough projects... as you can tell :beer chug:

Justin rook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 5.0L
Hi i got a vt calais 5.0 and was running than just cut out. Now it wont start and when trying to start there s some kind of knocking noise in the engine bay. I figure out wat the noise is or get it starting again.? Some tips would be great if can pls?

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
You might want to start your own thread on that as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Tazzi's R&D?

Andrew

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sorry Iv been a bit quiet!

Time for an update with everything thats been going on. :)
Its probably easier to answer the common questions Iv been getting as it covers everything needed.

Q) When is the new cable coming out? You had testers around last year Christmas?
A)Theres three parts to this answer...
Part 1: Multiple parts on the board design went into the EOF (end of life) stage which means they were no longer being produced. I need parts which will be accessible for many years to come, this meant redesigning board for some new components (relays, bluetooth ect).

Part 2: The board design was too complex for soldering. It was taking hours per cable just for soldering. This is not viable in any way, and required changing up the design. The design is a three stage system now with a main processor board, OBD plug+breakout board and finally an interface board. This all goes together much nicer, and now has soldering down to about 30-50mins.

Part 3: Iv taken on alot of custom jobs for conversion vehicles/import cars ect which absorbs most of my free time currently, which has drastically affected other projects timeframes.

Q) What can the new cable do? Why is it different to the two you have?
A) Quick answer.. theres no limitations. As its built by me, I have put everything I would want from a cable into it, which means it can tackle anything thrown at it. The biggest thing, is it can communicate to every module in VR through to VF's. This means one cable, to rule them all (Mwhahahaha).

Q) Whens it coming out!!!???!!!
A) Since last December, there has been 16 revisions. The latest revision only arrived a few days ago, and has been powered up on the bench since its arrived for long term testing! So far so good, next test will be leaving it in my ute for a few days to ensure it accepts start/stop conditions, noisy electrical conditions and so on.

Q) VF custom programming, Whats the go?
A) Been asked alot about this. Almost all VF programming related upgrades are extremely complex, requiring full reflashes of modules which can take significant amount of time. This means all modules need to be flashed to the latest updates specific to that vehicle before modification can be performed (Such as TPMS, Paddles, POI and various other options) and then another full reflash with my modification updates. For example, the VF mylink firmware update will happily consume 1hour+, before moving to the calibrations to update and finally modify.

The only exception to this, is programming options which can be performed via a flashbox such as VF performance page, Mylink relink, cluster relink. Those can happily be performed by the flashbox. All other programming at this time will be put on hold until I sort out a better setup/system to get it done. Or more likely after some of this work finishes, and new envy tool completed.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Thanks for the update. It's appreciated you've taken the time out to supply a little insight on what's going there.