Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Revenue Raisers In Blue

Do you think the Police are just here to raise revenue?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If the police want your respect then I reckon they need to show some respect towards us.
It is very rare that when you get pulled over by the cops that they don't treat you like a criminal....especially the policewomen.......its all about power and how they get taught to treat people to get them on the defensive.
I know they have parts of their job which I wouldn't like to do but that is one of the reasons why I didn't want to be one.
What I am saying sometimes it is a unpleasant job but that is what they are getting paid to do and if everything went rosey all the time we wouldn't need police.
I don't hate police but I think sometimes some understanding on their part could be shown instead of the big stick.

Anyway thats my opinion

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I agree entirley. Hell female cops, we asked a male cop why they were so angry once, rekin'd even he was scared of them. They rule by fear alright.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I can only speak from experience but I have never had any trouble with the police. It's probably luck of the draw I guess, people of all professions can be assholes and make your life difficult.

I'm also not saying that because I have a perfect driving record, it's actually the complete opposite. Beside's DD I have had my fair share of offences.

Went to the Gold Coast one weekend with an x-girlfriend, drove down from the Sunshine Coast (2hours) on a Friday afternoon ready to find a Motel and party for the weekend. Found the Motel, went out, had some dinner and bought back a few warm up JD's. A few hours and about 8 cans later we cruised up to the Hard Rock Cafe where I consumed at least 6 schooners of VB before starting the walk to Cavill. Now I'm not one to start a fight but some lads went past in a car showing their appreciation of my g/f in a not so polite manner. I returned the favour with some friendly appreciation of my own: D . Just as we got to the corner of Cavill the same car must of done a lap and came up behind us. Three of the tough guys got out of the car with bystanders everywhere, the closest one pulled a pocket knife on me being a hero while the other smacked my g/f closed fist in the face and the smallest one stood back looking out like a pansy. All this happened pretty quick bystanders saw it all and jumped in grabbing the guy with the knife and the guy who hit my g/f while I caught the little lookout guy and put him through the window of a well placed Hyundai accent. Finally the police beat cop's come, I give them a quick run down of what happened. I was basically unscathed just a few scratches on my arms from putting the 3rd guy through the window and my neck was a little ripped up from the first guy grabbing my chain from behind at the beginning. Anyway all that crap aside you can imagine I was pretty pissed off about my weekend that was meant to be a break from it all. Instead of going back to the motel like the Cavill police said. I went back with a slightly different idea than what they had. I grabbed all our stuff threw it in the car at 2am, dumped the keys on managements doorstep and got out of there. All I wanted to do was get as far away from the GC as possible. I was blind and mighty pissed off as I overtook car after car on the Pacific Highway in my VS SS, with little or no regard for the law, my passenger or myself. Finally calmed down towards Beenleigh and sat on 140kph, not soon after a Honda Prelude that I had overtaken 10 minutes before at 180kph did a fly by with a undercover cop car right up his ass. After my night I thought this was pretty funny watching the rice get pulled over. I slowed down and let the boys do their thing up in front, by the time caught up the officer was just getting out. Being a smartass I thought I'd mash the SS, which was quite loud with a twin system just as a statement (combination of being drunk and pissed off) To cut a long story short the policeman didn't like me doing that. Left the Hyundai and started after me. I finally pulled over thinking ok that's it I'm gone and there's nothing I can do about it. The first thing he said when he got to my window was "G'day ********" which even I think was quite appropriate. Gave me the standard how fast were you going, I gave the normal hmm about 120kph response, he laughed and said I had to be joking. Gave me a breath test, didn't show me what it came up as. Then asked me what I've had to drink and whether I have a reason for going so fast, I knew I was gone with nothing to lose so I told him the truth, exactly the same way I told you, showed him my neck, ripped shirt, scratches etc. After all that and not saying much at all he walked back to his car, with my licence which was only a learners permit at time. 15 Minutes went by with him doing who knows what in the car, finally he comes back to the car that I'm now leaning up against with the doors locked and alarm set. I hand him the key's but he hands them back, tells me that his shift is over at 5am and to get in the back of my car and sleep it off. After his shift finished I was allowed to drive home.

Couldn't believe it, the guy actually had a heart and agreed that my unfortunate night was a fair enough reason to want drive home. I have two other stories but this one ended up way too long, I'll save them I think. *Touchwood but I have amazing luck when it comes to the police*

I'll also add that I was young, dumb, in my first powerful car and driving like a complete fool.

www.justcommodores.com doesn't encourage dangerous driving.

Jake.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
that's a good story jake and yes you're damn lucky!

i was a menace when i started driving in a 302 XA coupe but i never had a major crash. i have been pulled over probably 20-30 times in total, mostly by cops who saw young guy long hair V8 coupe and P plates, they reasoned this will be worth a shot.

i was a little out of control at 19 and used to have a loudspeaker under the front guard. one day in traffic a mate was just mucking around in the passenger seat, whistling into it when the car in front just stopped. some big bloke got out looking real mean and came walking towards me. i gassed it and went around him, but he got back in and followed me.

i was doing about 100 in a 60 punched a red light when they whipped out the blue light on the dash. everyone out of the car, made to sit on the footpath while they searched the car and questioned us, traffic stopped on a major intersection. they threw everything out of the car it looked like they'd just busted bank robbers. told us we got get done for speeding, the works.

these guys looked real rough before the blue light appeared we'd never even guessed they were cops. must have been drug squad or something cos they eventually just let us go! i think they were just acting tough but at least i didn't get fined.

i'm more sensible these days

R

Robbie

Hi guys,

I agree with the 50KM P/H in SOME cases.. I am in Newcastle... we have some major thoroughfares that have been cut to 50 and police sit on them constantly.... because it is not a "MAIN" road they have decided to take it to 50... most of these are straight roads... wide enough to run atleast 3 lanes plus cars parked on each side..... I think that is a joke.. to make it worse the major one that comes to mind has 3 "hills" on it... nothing major, you don't have the situation of a "crest" where you can't see over it but it means you are constantly on the brakes to stay at 50...

Some real common sense needs to be used when enforcing these speed limits... back streets with cars parked on the curb i think are definately better off at 50... but these major thoroughfares need to be 60... The one limit fits all "residentiol" or "built up" areas is not really cutting it I don't think

My street is realy 3 long bends, one to the left as you go up a hill and then back to the right as you go down the hill.... it then turns left again... There has been no accidents ever on the street and I have lived there since it was first put in.. about 11 yrs ago (a new estate)... I got booked at the bottom of the hill for 76 in a 50 zoned... I then tried to do 50 the next day.. and still to this day I can't do 50 on that hill without feeling "this is ridiculous". I agree I was going too fast but I think 60 is a more reasonable speed limit... It is not a "back street" and is certainly a good road with good vision all around. There are children around.. which I think is another point but the driver needs to take care whilst driving... and I think at 60 KPH that would be fine... obviously the lower you go the better chance of stopping but are we going too far?? I must say that I;m Glad I don't have the job of setting the speed limits because I wouldn't want all the flack...

I definately agree with the idea of a changed "P" plate system... doing a simple driving test is not enough.. anyone can fluke that and some good drivers fail... I think a course is needed.. even government funded.. I mean it does cose you $90 to get your green p's if you are succesful first time... this would ensure that drivers are not just picking up their bad habbits from their parents... as I know some people are ot getting any lessons and dads way of driving is now theirs...

Well I have bored people enough but I tend to agree with most people on the origional topic... Police are not soley revenue raisers... there are a few individuals in the force that give them a bad name for being arrogent and unreasonable but they are doing there job! RTA cameras are getting a bit much and I know in some states they are ridiculous but here in Newcastle and most of NSW they are fine...

That's all folks,

Robbie

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Well said Robbie, there is a fine line between revenue raising and setting the correct speed limit. You are right, a one size fits all limit in residential or built up areas isn't clear enough and is definitely inappropriate in certain areas. I often question this vague law myself; I think it comes down to a combination of funding and the convenience of making profit from inadequate signage. To me that screams revenue but the government would scream budget as a defence.

Without getting political or whining on for paragraphs- Like Robbie, I'm glad that I'd don't have the job of enforcing, approving, designing or adapting the road rules.

Jake.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I can't say that I've ever had a bad experience with a cop. I've been pulled over for a speed about 10km faster then what I thought I was doing, but I had no proof so I wore it on the chin.

I've been pulled over a heap just cause my car has rims and an exhaust, the cops see me and go ooh lets go do an rbt and try and nab him for something. I spose to a point it is Random, the time of it. Same car different day

How often do people in standard looking cars get pulled over :S

I'd definately say that its revenue raising to an extent. However the old can't live with 'em can't live without 'em comes into play.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
My car looks standard, except for the 3 inch chrome exhaust tip, and only once was I subject to a 'routine' stop to check my car over. And boy did they check everything. Diddnt find anything wrong so let me go. A mate in his Honda Prelude, totally stock drove along the same road home twenty minutes later and was stopped also. He was fined $20 because he diddn't have a spare wheel jack, and $40 because he was 7kph over the limit! This cop was what can only be described as a grumpy old bastard who went searching for a reason to pin a ticket to what would not usually be speeding.

Hahaha its still funny to this day, stupid hondas.

Mike.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (jetspin_vl @ Jan 9 2004, 02:13 PM) He was fined $20 because he diddn't have a spare wheel jack,
it's not a requirement to carry a spare wheel! bloody cops

R

Robbie

QUOTE (jetspin_vl @ Jan 9 2004, 02:43 PM)He was fined $20 because he diddn't have a spare wheel jack, and $40 because he was 7kph over the limit!
how on earth did he work that out??? $40