Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

SpiceyP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Is a timing chain replacement considered preventative maintenance? I have a 2010 SV6 series 2 and no obvious chain rattle or other symptoms, but just curious if others would suggest getting new chains done at a certain number of kms? I'm at 165,000km and the car has been well looked after and is it generally great shape. Just worried about neglecting the chains. I guess with a good OEM kit I should get at least another 100k out of the car without worrying about chains right?
If you have no symptoms, no codes and no noises I would honestly not worry about it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Is a timing chain replacement considered preventative maintenance? I have a 2010 SV6 series 2 and no obvious chain rattle or other symptoms, but just curious if others would suggest getting new chains done at a certain number of kms? I'm at 165,000km and the car has been well looked after and is it generally great shape. Just worried about neglecting the chains. I guess with a good OEM kit I should get at least another 100k out of the car without worrying about chains right?
No need to do anything. Chains aren’t like belts so you will get plenty of warning before it goes. If any irregular noises appear then cross that bridge when you get to it. If it’s running smooth then no problems.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just keep up with (very) regular oil changes.