Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Trekkie Thread

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Star Trek was the first in few things. The first interracial kiss with Cpt Kirk and Uhura. On DS9, one of the first televised Girl - Girl kiss. Season 4 Episode 6 "Rejoined"

b859813328289afb851d01e5898ece65.png

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Was that really. Huh.

It has been surprising burning over the content actually. Somethings date it really quickly, but otherwise its holding up relatively well.

I think I actually enjoyed DS9 the most. Some of the acting from the captian was terrible but it had the greatest collection of saturated characters. I reckon the Klingon storylines in this were the best (compared with TNG) then the civil war with Bajor and Cardassian, nice subtle 90's stab at class and race, then early Gender critics with Dax (as above) enough meat to disguise with space aliens and replicator faults.

But I suppose the beauty of all this content is that it speaks to different things and people at different times :D

Last edited:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
My favorite is Voyager. It has the old TOS flair and Cpt Janeway is a bad ass. Had a good balanced cast, without been woke like nowadays.

Interesting is, the longest running character was Chief O'Brien, and I think in second place Worf. The chief started in TNG and jumped ship to a starbase. Pickard was a douche back for kicking the chief from the bridge, "Officers Only" he said and assigned him to the transporter room.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Ah true, her character is indeed pretty rad. And there does deserves to be statues built of the Chief. Don't know if I agree re the wokness. I think the 30yr old series survies so well because it is relatively progressive. You could nearly say it's been woke the entire time?

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
You could nearly say it's been woke the entire time?
No, just the newer ones. For example, the one with Cpt Pike is totaly woke. Picard season one got 7 on a lesbian afair with Rafii that adds no value to the story line; on the 3rd season Worf makes a reference of "Lovers in the Battlefield". Those parts are not relevant to the story but sure it a check box for the Woke agenda.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Hmmm I'm not sure I understand what a woke agenda is then?

7of9 was always kinda Queer, wasn't she? I feel like the whole her coming to terms with her borg body, her human self, all that kinda played out like someone struggling with identity and ones relationship to self.

And if it's the queer thing that is "woke" I mean Julian and Garak in DS9. They were as queer as they come surely. Their Bromance could have launched a thousand ships :p. And even Dax, techncially I suppose she was a TransMan no. History of multiple genders presenting in a female form, sound pretty queer to me. ;)

Although I confess to be catching up with all this (only started binging trek during COVID) feels like Trek has always been pretty liberal with Gender and Identity.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Woke agenda has certain parameters. For example, is all about been inclusive. Meaning, that you have to have a queer episode or scene. Have to have a mixed couple somewhere. Not that I am against it, feels like is forced upon, not organic to the story telling. Another example is like finding a situation to say some about contemporary racism or slavery; like a hidden mesage.

As I said about Worf mentioning that Anaka (7) and Rafii as lovers in battle. That did not enhanced or gave any productive information on the story, just a nugget to pitch same sex awareness and nothing more.

For example, the kiss with Jadzia is because of Dax. The previous host was a male, hence Sisco calling her Old Man. According to the Krill story line, they symbiot carry memories from previous host. On that case, was a mental struggle and the kiss feels like an organic thing to happen, so is relevant to the story.

What about Discovery, the Engineer and the Doctor. They are married but they exagerate their relationship, perhaps too much to make it obvious, like they want you to know they are gay on every episode. To me is, I got it, so what, lets move on with the story. That does not happen with the other couples in the ship.

Nowadays, Hollywood producers are pictching more and more the Woke agenda in ads, movies and the telly.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
People that are always talking about things been woke, are themselves woke!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Star Trek TNG tackled homosexuality when it was still illegal in some states. It tackled racism when segregation was still very much a part of society regardless of law. Yes it is woke and has been long before the denigrating, worthless, broad colloquialism and the world wide web of rabbit holes Skydrool frequents existed. It was awkwardly way ahead of its time and if it makes you feel queasy because of it's normalisation of human behaviours that existed before recorded time in or out of story line, then don't watch it. Awareness and inclusivity has always been the Trek MO. The Orville also does a fantastic job of it IMO

Discovery? That's the classic attempt to rewrite a formula into the contemporary definition of woke

Last edited:

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
Omfg :eek: episode 7 was epic Jesus Christ , won't be telling what happens (spoilers) Jesus Christ , this has of best episode yet ,god Knows what going to happen in the final few episodes.