Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ultimate Alloytec Performance Thread

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Hey there, really new to the forums...hoping not to piss anyone off with this post

I've got a SVZ with the standard alloytec, just wondering what mods people have done, whilst keeping it NA. What sort of power numbers are realistic with this engine? I have had some people telling me to leave it alone, some people saying you can get good figures with the alloytec and someone even described it as economic suicide....

From what I can see the CPR6 is pretty much a standard...

any advice is much appreciated

rock on,
Jimi

To be completely honest, every engine mod i have done or seen has caused drama's. If you want a nice car, thats reliable and looks nice, id be doing wheels, Suspension, Tinting and stereo. The alloytecs are capable of making power, but this comes at a cost. Reliability and a big budget.

If you choose to mod, do it wisely and you wont be able to do it on a budget. Spend the money and do it properly

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
A nice CAI and cat back exhaust is a go'er. Maybe some Mace manifold spacers. There's nothing like a good old oil change with some real decent oil and spark plug change. Clean the MAF and when you do the spark plugs/manifold spacers clean the throttle body out and the manifold. Should run pretty good if you do all that.

This is general maintainence that should be done around service time, all good advice but be careful what products are used.

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
This is general maintainence that should be done around service time, all good advice but be careful what products are used.

True, although a CAI and exhaust are not. Bosch double plat plugs, a fully synthetic oil (if you can afford it) OEM air filter and oil filter if your not going the CAI way, also make sure you use actual MAF cleaner to do the job of cleaning the MAF and a can of carby cleaner to do the manifold.

Blackstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Commodore
Cheers guys, what sort of power are most people getting from their alloytecs?

Any idea what is realistically possible?

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Considering it is only a 6 and I'm hauling around a wagon with 3 kids and my wife mine goes real nice. Never had it dyno'd but I am looking into a tune so in the future I'll have a idea.

Venom80

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Wagon
As I've said previously, the tunes should be at least 150 cheaper now than 900, vz requires only 2 vcm credits instead of 4. Maybe mention it to the tuner

Im not sure if that is 100% true as I had mine done last year by my uncle and it took 4 credits to unlock it have a look on vcm any ways they have all the listing and how many credits unlock what. ;-)

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I just had a new ecu put in my car and needed the ecu to be unlocked again so that my charger tune could be loaded onto it. Cost me 2 credits at 75 each. 150 for both credits. This is a new price that was only done roughly 2 months ago.

Venom80

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Wagon
Thats sound's a bit better because when I had it tuned last year and checked the HP tuners web site it was four credits to unlock.It's about time they changed it, it was one of the few computers that costed so much to unlock.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hmmm interesting to take a look at this sticky thread again. Been terribly busy for the past several months, no time for my car at all... I'm thinking the main performance-killer for the V6 Alloytec is the extremely high gear ratios of the 4-speed gearbox... I mean come on flat out and in 1st gear till 80km/h till the next gear?! I'm sure acceleration would be greatly improved just by lowering the gear ratios... how much would that cost?

I just had a new ecu put in my car and needed the ecu to be unlocked again so that my charger tune could be loaded onto it. Cost me 2 credits at 75 each. 150 for both credits. This is a new price that was only done roughly 2 months ago.

I know ECU changes are a good idea, but I don't understand... what exactly does it do to the car and how does it give an increase in performance?