Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermo fan always runs...help!!!!!

vnsupreme

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2 wagon, vh sl (project)
:bang:i have got a 95 vs berlina, when ever i start the car even on freezin cold mrnings the thermo fan comes on a couple of seconds later. also when im driving the thermo cuts in and out and when that happens the engine light comes on. Also one last thing when the car has been running for a while, if im sitting at lights or waiting at a corner it surges bad like it over revs then wants to stall! WHAT IS WRONG!!!!! Please help its soooo annoying.:unsure:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Firstly do an error check to see if any error codes shows up..Heres a link to a thread that shows you how to do this test.It only takes a couple of minutes, and is as easy as 1.2.3 to do.
---https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307---also if you scroll down near the bottom of the thread in the link,there are some excellent pictures of how to do this test as well if you are not sure about doing it.

Last edited:

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Check ur fuel reg pull the vac line of it n if it's got fuel in it she rooted that way mine done and it was surging ect

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
As above, check error codes.
Sounds like it may be a coolant temp sensor fault. If signal is lost, the PCM turns on the high speed fan to prevent overheating as it can no longer read engine temp.
This will also have an effect of the fuel delivered to the engine as fuel requirements change with engine temp.

SUSPEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing, at the moment
before checking fault codes, check the fan relay in the fuse box. i had the same problem caused by a sticking relay.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Def do the error code check, if the engine light came on while this was going on then there is def a logged fault. The ccolant temp explaination above sounds very reasonable and would explain all your issues.

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Patent Pending 1995 VR Series II V6 Buick
Yeah, It's The Coolant Temp Sensor.. or The Thermostat Causing Problems With CTS...

Timmy B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY séries II V6 wagon
Yeah, It's The Coolant Temp Sensor.. or The Thermostat Causing Problems With CTS...
Thanks very much - I had knocked the plug loose and was getting an error, thermo fans on all the time, and engine a bit down on power. Easy fix!
Thanks again :)