Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan switch location

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm not totally familiar with the relay wiring on those models but most likely the 3 relays control which fans are on and the speed of the fans. With the Fans working with the AC on that would indicate the circuit is fine from the PCM. Probably need to see what the actual temps are the PCM is seeing, it may be the sensor is faulty.

I'm in south Auckland.

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
Thanks again an auto elec mate is going to have a look tomorrow night but at least now I can give him a direction to head, not that he wouldn't work it out in 5 mins what I could tell him.. Time you were in bed.
Cheers Norm

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
Ok so if anybody wants to know where the temp sensor is,it is in the left hand head up the front above the spark plug. This was the cause of the fans not coming on

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
Hi Lex, it took about half an hour by the time I went through what I had done and what I had worked out. Then test the relays and establish that the relays were actually turning the fans on. Then it was a case of getting it up to temp and then we were able to see that the temp rose to about 96 degrees then drop to 86 then back to 95,93,96,100,95, it was just jumping all over the place and at no stage did it look like going high enough to pull the fans in. He is getting a new switch today and will put it in on his way home tonight

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
This is how the ECU actually responds to the sensor input:
4DE59DF0-E94C-487D-ACF7-DF89A2446C91.png

So maybe don’t buy any more parts.
Never heard of ECT sensor going bad on Gen IV BTW.

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
I have known Mark for about 30 years and he knows his stuff, you don't get to be a mobile auto elec if you don't, cause that is a tough gig

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I have known Mark for about 30 years and he knows his stuff, you don't get to be a mobile auto elec if you don't, cause that is a tough gig
You should advise him of the commanded threshold for this car else end up with unnecessary Frankenstein fix.
It’s not just the fans that rely on the ECT sensor of course, it is one of the critical tune / emissions components.
Swapping it out because the fans don’t work <= 100° on the basis of getting the fans going again is not the correct approach.

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
I will mention that to him but I guess he knows all that,you get to know these things when you do it every day

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
Ok so just as a final update on this matter a $35 temp sensor solved the problem, all good now, all simple if you know how